Icing for cake decorating

These are a few of the birthday cakes I’ve made for my daughter.

I love to decorate birthday cakes for my kids. It seems more personal if Mom can do it herself instead of picking one up at the store. The icing that I use is the recipe that I want to share with you. It is a really yummy icing, but low on sugar, so you don’t end up with a bunch of kids with a sugar high. This recipe is one that was given to me by my sister-in-law (Thanks, Dana!).

Comments

1. Country Creek Crafts says

This is a great icing, not too sweet at all. My SIL makes it for all her cakes, she does some spectacular cakes.
    She has mentioned either adding custard powder or Cream of Tarter to firm it up for piping, I will ask her.

Wendy, please let me know if you find out the answer, I’d love to add that. I’m lucky, no summer birthday parties here, but I’d like to make this a little more stable, if possible.
    Thanks! :)

3. katskitchen says

I think I might give this frosting a try soon, I agree, some frosting recipes are just too sweet! Although heavy whipping cream isn’t the greatest for you, but something’s gotta give. Thanks for posting…did you ever hear about the cornstarch if it would thicken it? Also, do you frost the cake with this frosting as well as pipe and decorate?

Hi Katskitchen!
    I never did hear back if the cornstarch would help stabalize it, but I’m thinking that it would. I’ve always frosted my cakes a few hours before needing them, and then refrigerated them until the party. I have both frosted a cake with it, and piped it, but if using it only to frost, I would maybe even cut back on the pudding mix a bit, so it’s more like whipped cream, and not quite as thick. We love this icing though, at least it’s edible and no on is scraping it off their cake. :) Let me know if you try it, I’d love to see what you can do with it!

Oops, sorry, custard powder! That is what I would try adding to stiffen it up a bit, not cornstarch. Man, I wish blogger allowed you to modify your own comments. :)

6. Country Creek Crafts says

Got some comments this morning and realized I had forgotten to ask my SIL so I phoned her.
    She uses Cream of Tarter to firm it up a bit and chills the icing slightly prior to putting in the bag. She does pipe it and this seems to work.
    HTH

Wonderful, thanks for checking for us, Wendy! Cream of Tarter is it!! I’ll remember that for next time! 😉