Deep Fried Home-Fries

Since going on a gluten free diet, I have realized just where gluten is all present. A lot of the fries that are fried in restaurants are deep fried in large deep fryers that also fry other breaded items, like chicken fingers and fish sticks. Those items contain gluten, which is then transfered to the oil, then to your fries. So, I have not bothered chancing it when it comes to the take out food. However, I was craving some good old deep fried french fries. So, I decided to make some in my own kitchen, where I knew there would be no cross contamination.

A few weeks ago on Kevin’s blog he showed us how he made home fries to go with his fish & chips dinner. After reading that, I decided to give it a try. I read a few other recipes, and some of them mentioned soaking your cut potatoes in sugar water prior to frying them. I decided to give this a try. I did not have russet potatoes at home, so I used red potatoes instead. These fries were definitely tasty, but will not become a regular here, because of the deep frying. Just a “special treat” kind of thing. :)

Comments

1. Y says

Very interesting, as I’d never before considered the problems of having to be gluten free, extending as far as contaminated deep fryers. Did you think the sugar water made a difference to the end result at all? Those fries look great – wonderfully golden :)

2. Anonymous New York says

They look amazing! Know what else is gluten free? Ice cream! (I think). Don’t forget my ice cream contest!

Y – I'm not sure if the sugar made a difference. From what I've read, others have tested, and they said the sugar bath (hehe) had indeed made the fries crispier than just cutting & frying.

Anon in NY – I nearly forgot! Thanks for the reminder, I'll get right on it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ (and believe it or not, not all ice creams are GF, that's just wrong).

4. bakingforthecure says

This picture made me really really hungry. this looks so great!, i am sure that it came really tasty :)

5. Julie says

Nothing better than a really good, really fresh, really crisp french fry! I always hesitate to get into frying projects because of the mess but there’s something undeniably appealing about fried foods. These look delicious and I love the picture.

6. ~Madeline~ says

Oooh, I bookmarked Kevin’s fries too! And after seeing yours as well, I’ll be indulging in these sooner than later

7. Neen says

I hadn’t heard of the sugar thing either, how interesting. Your photo looks superb, way better than the fries usually served at restaurants. I’ll admit: I’m pretty intimidated by deep-fat frying anything, but maybe I can convince my partner to give it a shot. He recently did deep-fat fried cheese sticks (!!)

8. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) says

I found your site through a comment that you left on Kevin’s blog, although I saw these perfect french fries on Foodgawker too. I love your site. You are s super-cook and your photos are stunning!

9. shweetpotato says

Those look delicious, I have it on my to try list, I have all the ingredients just need to sit down and do it hehe, Im sure my daughter will help me ๐Ÿ˜€ Carm

10. Chris says

Use peanut oil instead of vegetable oil, you will be amazed at the difference. Learned that from Bobby Flay.