Delicious Gluten-Free Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

There really is no better way for a celiac to start the LONG WEEKEND (yes, we’re having a long weekend here in Canada this weekend), than with a nice stack of celiac-friendly pancakes. The only thing that would make that better is if those pancakes are topped with a delicious homemade blueberry sauce.

I made these pancakes when we went camping the last time. By mixing all of my dry ingredients together before leaving home, all I had to add was milk, eggs & oil when I was ready to fry them up. I also cooked up this sauce before we left, and just reheated it before pouring it on top of the pancakes. These pancakes are really, really good. They are actually better than my “regular” pancakes that I used to make. We all enjoy these on a Saturday morning, and I hope you will too!

Comments

1. cdub says

these pancakes don’t just look great…they TASTE great, too! i just tried them this morning. i’ve been gluten free for about 5 years, these are the best gf pancakes, hands down. i don’t like when people say ‘couldn’t tell they were gluten free’, because most of the time, you actually can tell. but not these – these are every bit as good as gluten free pancakes. awesome. even my picky 12 year old connoisseur of pancakes loved them! thank you for sharing!

2. Lindsay says

Hi, my family and I are getting ready to go camping, and I remembered you had posted about GF camping food… (I subscribe to your blog). Anyway, I have a few quick questions. I love the benefits of ground flaxseed, but I don’t love the taste of it. :) Is it detectable in the pancakes? Also, can this mix be kept at room temperature for a day or so, even though it has the ground flax in it? And, lastly, about how many pancakes does this make? It’s just my husband and I and our two-year old. :) Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!!

Wonderful, Lindsay! Actually…I usually leave the flax seed out. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just add a little less buttermilk, and you’ll be good to go. And the mix lasts at room temperature, no problem at all. As for how many pancakes? If you had some fresh fruit, you could probably cut it in half and have enough for the 3 of you. It feeds my family of 4, and sometimes we have leftovers (but never when camping). ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have fun!!

3. Lindsay says

Thank you for your quick response! In general, would you consider these pancakes ‘light and fluffy?’ If I DO add in the flaxseed, is the texture compromised at all (i.e. gummy)?

4. cdub says

oops! i just realized i had typed that these are every bit as good as gluten free pancakes…what i meant to say is they are every bit as good as pancakes made with wheat flour/gluten! so yummy. will be having again for breakfast tomorrow :-)

5. Amy says

I was wondering if maybe you could tell me if I could use Bob’s Red Mill GF AP baking flour four this recipe ? if so how much would I use for it? Thanks so much , I am new to the whole GF diet and am trying to learn to make things that I love and still be able to eat them. :)

Hi Amy, You can try subbing out the brown rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch with the mix, but I can’t tell you how it will work. I never use bought mixes, as I don’t have access to them. sorry!

6. Jenn says

We are new to gluten-free. I was beginning to feel like a failure. Meal after meal, my older kids struggled to eat their food and my 3 yr old just told me it was “Yucky”. Then, I found your site. These pancakes are wonderful! My 3 yr old ate 3 servings! They have the taste and mouthfeel of gluten pancakes. I can’t wait to try out your other recipes!

• Jeanine says

So glad to help, Jenn! That’s why I blog. :) It is rough in the beginning, you have no idea how much “not great” food my family had to put up with! lol So glad to help your family adjust! Hope that everyone thrives while eating delicious gluten-free food. :)

Sweet! I’m glad you posted a recipe for ‘normal’ pancakes. I want to try a new recipe (other than my own) and I’m gonna use yours. I found a recipe for cinnamon roll pancakes. OMG. We’re having breakfast for dinner tonight! And we’ll be using your pancakes here as our base. ^_^ I’ll let ya know on facebook how they turn out! <3

8. Jools says

Thanks again Jeanine for this recipe, it’s another hit from your website! Instead of all the flours and flaxseed, I used my trustworthy Doves Farm Gluten Free White Bread Flour with the full 2 cups of buttermilk. Here in Holland we are used to the more crepe-like pancakes, so this is quite an exotic treat for us. The children already call them pancakerolls, because for them they resemble a bit breadrolls. Try it with some baked and caramelized apples and vanilla creme fraiche …mmmm!

9. Cathy says

Jeanine in October my youngest got eggs back into his diet. So, the only restrictions we have now are tree nuts, peanuts, and gluten. My husband and middle daughter avoid gluten, too. I have been loving you site since I found it in October! I currently have the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the oven. The rolled sugar cookies are on the dining room table ready to be packed for our family get together and frosted by the kids. The chocolate chip banana muffins are there, too. I have a ziplock bag prepped for pancakes, and we are definitely going to try the Breakfast Casserole this weekend. I’m hoping to have time to prep the Monkey Bread. Thank you for all the delicious treats. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

• Jeanine says

Aw, thank you Cathy! I wish I could give you a big old HUG right now! I’m so glad that I’ve been able to help your family, and it sounds like you’re well stocked for the holidays now!! :) How awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

10. Terri Davila says

Wow!! These pancakes were fabulous! They were soft and light and fluffy like pancakes should be. Paired with the Blueberry sauce made these a winning combination. My boys say the flavors together are a perfect match with the pancakes light and the sauce made them feel hearty. These are a hit in my house especially since I think they almost ate their weight in these. :) Thanks for all you do!!

• Jeanine says

Haha, that’s perfect, Terri! My kids LOVES these pancakes too, and that blueberry sauce is good on anything! Waffles, ice cream, cheesecake. Mmm…

11. AllieSong says

You have made my dreams come true! Every homemade GF pancake I’ve tried had been runny and oh so thin. But not these pancakes, they were nice and thick and fuffy! Mmmmm…..gotta stop eating them! Even my gluten-eating boys approve. Thanks a million!

Aw, that’s awesome, AllieSong! I’ve been making these for years, couldn’t ever figure out why others were saying they missed pancakes, when they were so easy to make. :)

12. Steph says

Maybe you’re tired of my comments already but I just had to say that these pancakes are AMAZING!! I won’t be making any other pancakes ever again, I couldn’t believe that they tasted like regular pancakes! And with the blueberry sauce it was wonderful! We just had a delicious family brunch thanks to you.

Oh, I never tire of comments, Steph! :) They ARE just like regular pancakes, aren’t they? I don’t understand why someone would buy pancake mix when they are so easy to make!

Jeanine; I have tried so many GF pancake recipes. I put this one together this morning THIS IS, HANDS DOWN, THE BEST GF PANCAKE RECIPE! Light, fluffy, tasty, NOT dry (which is epic considering it’s GF) I am so happy, giddy, in fact. Thanks for all your recipes…they’re all great!

14. Karen says

This has become my daughter’s favourite gf pancake recipe. Love them with substituting some of the milk for coconut milk and sprinkling coconut on top before flipping. Mmmm! At the moment, I’m out of tapioca starch and live in rural SK so can’t get any right now. Do you know if I could substitute corn starch?? Also, my daughter is planning on going to Providence College in fall- can I count on you to take her some mom’s homemade GF baking every week ๐Ÿ˜‰ Love all your recipes!

15. Michelle says

These pancakes are SO delicious! I made them Christmas morning, and again for a New Year’s brunch. They are addictive and nobody would guess that they are gluten free :) I switched things up a bit by using 1 cup of buttermilk and then added 1/2 to 3/4 cup of club soda. The club soda gives the pancakes an extra-light and fluffy texture. YUM!

16. Laura says

These are absolutely delicious! I’ve been cooking/baking gluten free for 10 years and this is a true keeper! Thank you very much!!

Laura.