I have never done as much baking with pumpkin as I have this year. We grew our own pumpkins this past summer. Two varieties; the jack-o-lantern pumpkins and the pie pumpkins. We had a lot of fun with the jack-o-lantern pumpkins, and make some pretty amazing Halloween decorations, as well as donated a number of them to my daughter’s school for their fall celebration.
The pie pumpkins, however, are proving to be a great addition to the garden as well. It is very easy to bake up the pumpkin, scoop it out, and use it the way you would canned pumpkin. All I did was cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, place it on a baking sheet, cut size down, and baked at 350 degrees F until a knife inserted easily into the pumpkin. Let it cool, and scoop the wonderful orange pumpkin out of the skin or shell.
I saw this recipe at GingerLemonGirl’s blog, and knew it was going to be on my “must try” list. These muffins were great! They had a wonderful texture, were moist, and the flavour was wonderful! I will definitely keep this recipe handy for our next pumpkin harvest.
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup millet or GF oat flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce or plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tins and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together ALL dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together all wet ingredients.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until mixture is thoroughly moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Muffin batter will be thick.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into muffin tin for 12 large muffins. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes prior to eating.
- Store in an airtight container.