Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I have never done as much baking with pumpkin as I have this year. We grew our own pumpkins this past summer. Two varieties; the jack-o-lantern pumpkins and the pie pumpkins. We had a lot of fun with the jack-o-lantern pumpkins, and make some pretty amazing Halloween decorations, as well as donated a number of them to my daughter’s school for their fall celebration.

The pie pumpkins, however, are proving to be a great addition to the garden as well. It is very easy to bake up the pumpkin, scoop it out, and use it the way you would canned pumpkin. All I did was cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, place it on a baking sheet, cut size down, and baked at 350 degrees F until a knife inserted easily into the pumpkin. Let it cool, and scoop the wonderful orange pumpkin out of the skin or shell.

I saw this recipe at GingerLemonGirl’s blog, and knew it was going to be on my “must try” list. These muffins were great! They had a wonderful texture, were moist, and the flavour was wonderful! I will definitely keep this recipe handy for our next pumpkin harvest. :)

Comments

1. katskitchen says

I love baking with pumpkin also these days! I don’t go as far as making my own pumpkin puree yet, but want to try it sometime! It doesn’t sound too difficult. Can you tell a big difference from when you used canned puree in baked goods?

Katskitchen, I have rarely used canned pumpkin, so I'm not sure of the difference, sorry!

Clumbsy, Thanks! We had fun carving our pumpkins. So many great free templates available online!

Kevin, I agree, anything pumpkin & chocolate is an automatic winner. :)

3. Anonymous says

The muffins look delicious, but unless I’m missing something, it appears that the wet ingredients aren’t listed. Can you double check, because I’d love to make these for fall mornings. Thanks much!

Whoa! How did I forget that? Thank you so much for pointing that out. Sorry about that. Hope you enjoy the muffins! :)

5. Teresa says

These are delicious !!! Do you happen to have a recipe for blueberry muffins — my GF boy has been craving them ?

6. Kimberly says

Jeanine,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this recipe!!! I am so thankful to have found it! One of my all time favorite recipes (prior to eating GF) was a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe. In the past, I have either skipped making them all together (or, I have cheated and made the real deal! I am not Celiac, but intolerant, but I know it still wasn’t good for me!) These muffins taste as wonderful as my old recipe I used to make! Again, THANK YOU for sharing. People such as yourself are so amazing. I can’t even get my pantry organized, let alone, CREATE my own recipes and then share them with others!! Bravo!!

I made these today and they tasted wonderful! I didn’t have millet flour so I used almond meal instead. Worked well.
    I am so happy that my sister-in-law, Nancy Neufeld, introduced me to your blog. She’s from your neck of the woods. :)

8. Erin says

HOLY COW! These taste amazing! I just made them (although I substituted in Jules flour blend) and they were incredibly good. If I didn’t know, I never would have guessed they were gluten free. My 1 year old daughter was just diagnosed with a wheat allergy and for her safety, we’ve had made our home wheat-free. In our journey to find something she can have (and the rest of us will enjoy), we’ve consumed a lot of dry, flat, and less than desirable bread products. I think finding your blog is going to be life changing for us :) Thank you so much!!!