First, let me say this…my kids actually ate these Porcupine Meatballs!! They’re not very fond of meatballs, and definitely not rice, but they actually asked for seconds of this. Pretty cool, huh? That right there makes this all worthwhile.
These porcupines are like meatballs that have rice mixed in with the ground beef. They were moist and flavorful. Since everyone seemed to like them, I will definitely make these again.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices gluten-free bread crumbs soaked in 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 tins gluten-free tomato soup
- 1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 3 bay leaves
- Combine beef, rice, onion, egg, bread, milk, salt and pepper. Form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs and place in greased casserole dish.
- Combine soup, cream & bay leaf. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.