Every spring, I wait for the stalks of rhubarb to spring forth from the ground. Rhubarb is a fairy hardy plant, but whether it will survive our cold Manitoba winters is another thing. But, once those green leaves start to emerge from the ground and uncurl, and the red stalks start to appear, it is time to start thinking about all the wonderful things you will be able to cook with this tart fruit.
You can’t have fresh picked rhubarb, and not make a crisp. I think that is a rule, but I’m not sure. 😉 This gluten-free Rhubarb Crisp is absolutely perfect. I’ve made it a few times already, in fact, and we all love it. The addition of almonds in the topping really adds a great flavour, as they toast when you are baking the crisp, however, you can omit them. The topping can be used with other fresh fruits to make a variety of fruit crisps.
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- In a medium bowl, mix the filling ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into an 8x8-inch pan.
- Combine topping ingredients, and sprinkle over top of the rhubarb filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Looking for more ice cream to go with your Rhubarb Crisp? Why not try our Rhubarb Crisp Ice Cream.