Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Cinnamon Bun Cake

I know many people with Celiac disease, or those with a gluten intolerant, miss the taste of cinnamon buns. Although I do have a fantastic gluten-free cinnamon bun recipe, sometimes you just don’t want to take the time and effort that it takes to bake a batch. If that’s you, don’t fret, you can still have the wonderful flavour of cinnamon buns in a quick and simple cake!

This cake is a nicely textured, slightly heavier cake with a brown sugar and cinnamon ribbon throughout. Top it with a vanilla icing drizzle, and you are set.

This cake is both gluten-free and dairy-free when you use the dairy-free milk and butter of your choice. For this recipe I used soy milk and Earth Balance butter, but if dairy isn’t a problem, you can use regular milk & butter as well.

Comments

Jeanine! This looks simply divine. as a non gluten free person, I have so much to learn from you. I would think that recipes like this would mean the world to someone who was starving for some home baking and thought they couldn’t have it. Would you ever consider guest blogging for me? I am thinking about some kind of “Idiot’s Guide” to gluten free cooking and baking. I would love it if you would present me with an easy recipe – I will film myself cooking or baking it :-) Email me if this is something you might want to do! xoxo

2. K. Cooper says

I love that this recipe has both rice AND sorghum flour – the fiber in the sorghum offsets the starch of the rice, potato and tapioca. Did you find that the cake “pulled” away from the sides? When I use my sorghum blend to bake, everything shrinks upon cooling and that doesn’t seem to happen with the starch blends… just wondering as my GF boy’s birthday is this Wed and I’m planning on making him your cinnamon buns for breakfast, but may try this instead – Cake for breakfast might be a lot cooler :)

I am finding that I LOVE using the sorghum in my baked goods, especially muffins. I don’t believe that this cake pulled away from the pan, because I had to cut around all sides before removing them, so I guess it didn’t have much shrinkage. :) Happy Birthday to your boy!! If you do decide on GF cinnamon buns, I have a great recipe for that too, and it works really well to form them the evening before, refrigerate over night, let rise & bake in the morning. Fresh rolls with minimal work that morning. :)

• K. Cooper says

Delicious! The birthday boy loved it (in fact my facebook/pinterest profile picture is him standing with his Birthday breakfast) along with the rest of the family and some friends who stopped by and eyed it and innocently asked if it was home made (as if the cake pan and mess weren’t enough evidence).

We also made your raspberry cupcakes for his school and the kids scarfed them up – I accidentally doubled the recipe so the Husband took a dozen or so to work – they were gone in 20 minutes and no one knew they were gluten free – Thanks for the recipes!

That is awesome!! I always LOVE to hear the stories that involve making kids happy. I mean, we as adults, we can adjust. But I feel for kids that feel left out. Glad that both recipes were a hit with the birthday boy. Happy Birthday!!!

Thank YOU, Tess, for asking me to join! What a great event, so many fantastic recipes to try now, and so many more blogs to follow. So glad that the cake was a hit for you. :)

3. Melissann says

Thanks for this recipe. I’m just discovering your exciting blog! If I wanted to make this in a bundt pan, do you think I’d need to double the recipe or maybe do 1.5?

Thanks again! Looks delicious.

4. Barbara B says

We tried this cake and it was excellent. It reminded me of the apple cake that my mother used to make so I think the next time, I’ll add some cup up apples in with the dough. Excellent cake base to experiment with too, I think! Thanks for posting.

Think this is a recipe that could be made the day before? Would it hold well? Or is it best served fresh? After three months of chocolate chip cookies, it may be good to have a break. And this looks positively delicious! If I can, I want to make it tonight, so that’s one less on my check list for tomorrow. (I’m trying to cram wayyy too much into my Saturday tomorrow! I need a clone of myself!)

• Jeanine says

oh, you can definitely make it today! If you decide to drizzle with the icing, do that before serving, but the rest can be done in advance, no problem. :) I’ve also got a recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip muffins, they stay on the counter for days as well, and are still great. Time to move out of your cookie comfort zone. :)

I made this cake last night on a whim. It was super quick and easy to put together. I didn’t swirl the topping, just put it on top like a cinnamon coffee cake. I also drizzled with icing. I served it for breakfast this morning and it is wonderful.

7. Robin says

I made this two days ago, exactly as written (except I didn’t have any pecans), and it still tastes GREAT! This recipe is a keeper for sure–one of the best things I’ve baked in a long time. Thanks so much for the recipe.

I tried this recipe one day when I was just craving a streusel-topped coffee cake. I must say it turned out absolutely fantastic! The texture of this cake is perfect. (I am going to refer all of my gluten free friends to Jeanine’s blog, because her recipes are so good.) I cut the cake into 16 squares and froze them in a plastic container. When I want a treat, I put one square into a small dish and microwave it for 30 seconds. Perfect! It tastes freshly baked. I did omit the glaze/icing because for me, it just isn’t necessary. The cinnamon streusel topped cake does it for me.

I wanted to add that one day I had some blueberries to use up, but not enough for muffins. So I made this cake again, adding a bit of lemon extract along with the vanilla. I then sprinkled the top with blueberries before adding the streusel topping (which I made for this cake using nutmeg as part of the spice component instead of all cinnamon). The blueberry coffee cake turned out excellent too, but it did take a bit longer to bake.

Thank you, Jeanine, for another wonderful recipe! I plan on making the baked chocolate doughnuts soon, and maybe the caramel apple coffeecake and some of the cookie recipes. You have put the fun back into baking for me!

9. Desiree says

Thank you, I made this yesterday and I loved it, as well as my whole family.
    I replaced the rice with Millet. We enjoyed it with coffee this morning.

Thanks again,