Gluten Free Paska Rolls (aka Sunshine Rolls)

Paska is a sweet, citrus bread that I’ve always enjoyed during Easter. My Grandma used to bake large loaves in coffee tins, my Mom bakes buns, and I decided to to add my twist to this traditional bread. I decided to take the flavours of Paska and make it into rolls.

Paska (or Sunshine Bread as I called it while smelling the lemon & orange zest – YUM) is traditionally eaten during Easter. Some versions have just lemon zest, mine has lemon and orange. Sometimes they are topped with icing and sprinkles, other times it’s icing and coconut. There are many different variations, but the lemon and orange combined with the cream cheese is pure perfection, in my opinion.

The method for these rolls is the same as “The Best Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns (or Rolls If You Prefer)“. If you have any questions about these rolls, feel free to read through to 150+ comments on the Cinnamon Rolls. You can also watch a video of me making another cinnamon roll, and that will give you an idea of what the consistency of the dough should be, and how to work with it. To see pictures of how to cut the cinnamon rolls, you can view this post.

Other gluten-free Easter/Spring recipes:

This post is linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays.

Comments

1. gfnoor says

Hi!
    Would the brown rice flour sold at bulk barn be considered “super fine” ? If not, can I use 4 cups superfine white rice flour instead of the superfine brown rice flour, in the AP flour mix.

regards,
    gfnoor

Yes, I consider the brown rice at Bulkbarn to be superfine, that is what I use all the time. :) The flour mix can be made with either white or brown rice flour, but since brown has more nutritional value than white, I use brown all the time. HTH!

2. Lissa says

I don’t remember where I got the idea, but I now use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into strips and then roll each strip separately. It’s sooooo much easier and neater.

Made these today, they are delicious! And the dough is quite easy to work with, considering I always have trouble with gf doughs. They’re always too sticky and don’t roll right, etc., but your instructions were spot on. Thank you, we’ll be enjoying these for Easter breakfast!=)

Lissa, have you tried that with this dough? GF dough is so soft, I don’t know if it would work to do that. I find rolling the whole thing up and using a thread works best.

Wow! They look so so so good!! Just watched your youtube video about how to make the cinnamon ones. Both look divine. Going to have to bake some soon :)

4. Sabrina says

Hi! I’ve made (and adore!) your regular cinnamon bun recipe and your monkey bread…I am curious, does it works to prep these ahead and freeze before rising like the monkey bread? Or prep the night before, refrigerate, and let rise i and bake in the a.m. Before baking? Thank you!!!

I ‘think’ it should, since I’ve done it with the cinnamon buns and the monkey bread. I haven’t tried it myself yet though. If you do, please let me know how it works!

Oh Jeanine, you kill me with the beautiful rolls that you make! I have already shared your cinnamon rolls on the FB page and will share these too. I have to live vicariously through my friends enjoyment of your goodies since I am off of sugar…:( Happy Easter! hugs

6. Lissa says

Did you know? It’s MUCH easier to cut the dough into slices first (I use a pizza cutter), and THEN roll it.

7. Judy says

I’m new to your website, but I am so excited to try some of your recipes! These look wonderful. Since I went (mostly) gluten free a few years ago, I’ve been dying to have panettone again, and this recipe looks pretty similar. Can’t wait to give it a try!! :) Thanks!

It should work, Christy. Cover them, and refrigerate (before rising) until the next day. Or, make them even earlier, and freeze them, put them in the fridge the night before to defrost, then let them rise on the counter the next day before baking.