Gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

It is definitely springtime when the rhubarb’s thin, tender stalks are ready to cut & use. This upside down cake combines rhubarb with moist, sweet strawberries, which bake up into a beautiful sauce under a moist cake with a hint of lemon. Once it has baked, you turn the cake out of the pan, putting the rhubarb and strawberries on the top of the cake. Perfect served with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.

Comments

I am amazed at how well mine is growing. We had some rain this weekend, I’m sure it’ll grow some more! Need to do something with it this week again! :)

1. Lori R says

What is “flavored gelatin”? If it is “Jell-o”, is there a substitution? Flour maybe to thicken or arrowroot?

It is Jello powder. :) You can try using 1 Tbsp cornstarch and enough sugar to make 1/2 cup, but I haven’t tried it, so I can’t guarantee how it’ll work.

2. Lisa says

Thanks for the gelatine/Jell-O clarification – I had the same question.
    Do you think Sweet White Rice flour could be used in place of the white rice flour in your recipe? I have lots of sweet white but no plain white rice flour.

Thanks!

L

Hi Lisa, sweet white rice flour is totally different than white rice flour, sorry. It will produce a very sticky, gummy cake if you use it in place of white rice flour.

3. Angel L says

Hello Jeanine.
    I just recently discovered your blog the other day while hunting for a good recipe to utilize the massive amount of rhubarb I was given. And I have to say that this recipe is simply AMAZING!! If I didn’t bake it myself I would have been questioning whether or not it was truly gluten-free! My boyfriend even loves this cake, and he’s not even a rhubarb fan and doesn’t need to live gluten-free like I do. It was so good, that I will be making it again for friends who are visiting us next weekend.
    I am very excited to try out more of your recipes!

• Jeanine says

Woohoo!! That’s awesome! Love when the haters begin loving too. :) Perfect! Glad that it’s a hit, and jealous that you’ve got rhubarb this time of year. Mine’s done for the year already.

4. alice theofan says

I must have Pinned this recipe a while back. I was just paging through my Gluten Free recipes to find the wonderful Bread recipe that I always make into hamburger buns when I noticed this recipe! I can hardly wait until the bunch of Rhubarb appears on my door step! This will definatly the first thing I make! Looks amazing and my Celiac boys love rhubarb and strawberries! Thanks again! :)

5. Jeanie says

This looks great! Planning to make it in the morning. I’m wondering, however, if I can sub out the lemon rind and use almond extract? Or would that negatively alter the consistency of the cake? (I’m not usually a fan of lemon-flavoured anything, so not sure about that part). Thanks for the recipe!