Gluten-free Devil’s Food Cake with Mocha Buttercream

Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake with Mocha Buttercream Frosting

Who doesn’t love chocolate cake?? OK, I know there are a few of you, but I would venture to say, you are the minority. 😉  I know I love chocolate cake, any kind of chocolate cake, especially if it is covered in frosting. This moist, rich Devil’s Food Cake fit the bill perfectly. My husband actually brought most of the cake to work, and no one even know they were eating gluten-free. That always puts a smile on my face; when no one even suspects that they are eating something that doesn’t contain wheat flour. Especially when it is people that say they would NEVER want to eat gluten-free, because it’s flavourless and bland and such a BORING diet. WRONG! We can actually have our cake, and eat it too!

Wondering how to make the chocolate curls to decorate your gluten-free Devil’s Food Cake with Mocha Buttercream?? Watch this video, it’s so simple!

Comments

1. Margaret A. Massey says

Oh!! Yum!! I’m having company later this month, they can help me eat this. Thanks for all you do for us. ~ Margaret

2. Barbara B says

Oh, what an awesome cake! The height was amazing, the taste, divine. I made this for company tonight and they couldn’t tell it was gluten free. I’ll be making this one again and again. Thanks so much for posting it!

So glad to hear that, Barbara! Thanks for the feedback. Glad that you had company so you had the opportunity to make it. :) So…Sunday breakfast will be chocolate cake?? :)

• Barbara B says

We are not THAT decadent here…we had it for lunch! 😉 My non-gluten free company wanted a piece to take home for coffee today. That’s how good it was. We’re going to try your balsamic potatoes tonight. You are the Queen! 😀

Aw, so happy to hear that everyone loved it. :) You know when Non-GFers are asking for it, it’s good. lol No lowered expectations here!

3. Fran Heath says

I’m going to be making this cake for a picnic this Saturday (today is Weds.) and was wondering how long you think this will keep? I’m trying to determine how early I can get away with making it since I have to make several other things as well. Thank you so much for all the great recipes! My family has enjoyed everything I’ve made from your site (although the lemon bars will have to be rare treats since I have no self control around them!)

OH, sorry for not responding, Fran! I would probably only bake it up to two days before, wrap it up really good, but frost it up to one day before. Hope your have a great weekend!

4. Tami says

Just made this cake (into cupcakes! bake at same temp for 10 minutes, then rotate pan 180 degrees for another 10 minutes=) for my son’s first birthday party and I have already had 2 and the party is not until tomorrow! I also made regular vanilla cupcakes but I think these will be the hit, I’m not going to tell people they are gluten free. I did not make the buttercream as I wanted white buttercream so in the future I will definitely try this buttercream. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

That’s awesome,Tami! Hope your little man has a fantastic birthday party!! If you tell people they are GF, maybe there will be more leftovers for you! 😉

I made this today in a bundt pan – took about 45 minutes – and it looks perfect. Not short, not like gluten free at all. Better than that, it tastes amazing. Thanks for all your great recipes.

6. Mindie says

I made this today! Changes I made: I had no sorghum flour, so I added that amount to the rice flour measurement (I used brown instead of white). I also 1.5x’s this recipe to make a large 11×14″ cake, flipped it out, topped it with the chocolate buttercream (omitted the coffee in the icing), strawberry glaze, and lots of chocolate covered strawberries. AMAZING. My 8 year old wanted a chocolate strawberry cake for her birthday, and this made her day!

I am confused as to how you put the cake together. Is it a 4 layer cake? Must I slice each layer into half? Your instructions do not say to do that, but the photo shows more than 2 layers. Your directions also say it is enough frosting for a four layer cake.

I have never cut a layer in half. Is there some secret to doing that? I think I will make a mess :)

Thanks for the great website!

Sorry, Jill, I will clarify now. Yes, I split each cake into 2 layers, but you don’t ‘have’ to, you can leave them whole and have a 2 layer cake. You may have some leftover frosting doing that, as I had enough to put frosting between each layer as well. Off to edit the recipe to include this now. :) thanks!

8. Stephanie says

Hi,

I have a gluten free flour mix, how much should I use to replace the listed dry ingredients?
    1 cup white rice flour
    1/2 cup potato starch
    1/3 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup sorghum flour
    1 tsp xanthan gum

Thanks!

9. Karla says

Do you think I would be able to substitute shortening for the butter in the cake itself? Also, I have some special dry milk powder that is gluten/dairy/soy free that I just bought. Can I reconsitute that in place of the milk in the cake? Thanks!!!!!

• Karla says

Hi! I did make the cake – substituting shortening (trans fat-free) for the butter, & the dairy-free powdered milk (reconstituted with plain water) for the regular milk. I kept everything else the way the recipe read. It was so delicious!!!

I was nervous because the batter appeared “grainy” when I poured it in the pans, and the baked cake did have a grainy texture on top after I took it out the oven – I guess the grain all rose to the top. But after I iced it you couldn’t even detect that when eaten.

I’m no baker so I can’t explain what made the batter grainy. But I was wondering if that’s normal. Do you have any ideas as to what could be the cause given the cake’s ingredients? I did sift everything, but I also used fresh flours that had been in the freezer. Could that have done it?

I’d appreciate any ideas on that grainy situation you may have. In the end it was still very good though and even the gluten eaters gobbled it up. I also used that shortening in the icing and it was rich, but wonderful.

Thanks!!!!

10. Elise M. says

I made this last night and it is fabulous!!! I didn’t make the frosting because I was missing some ingredients. But I put it together with a vanilla frosting and added some sprinkles (a MUST!). It is wonderful!! Thank you for posting this recipe :)

I’ve used this recipe many times now and it always turns out great! Thank you Jeanine!! My whole family is gluten free and I’m always looking for good gluten free recipes to try. I do make this using a flour blend I make myself with no problems. In fact I have one in the oven right now! Yummy…can’t wait!!

12. Suzanne says

I made this cake today and I didn’t have enough corn starch and I substituted tapioca starch. I don’t know if that’s the reason but the cake was very crumbly and my layers just cracked in half after it cooled. I managed to “paste” it back together with lots of frosting so it still looked and tasted fine. Will try it again with cornstarch. I loved that this had the height of a regular cake and it’s not “flat looking” like many gluten free things. Great recipe!