This gluten free Beef and Bean Burrito Soup, which is quick and easy to put together, is the ideal fill-me-up soup for a weeknight dinner.
“Oh no! It’s 5:00 and I have no idea what’s for supper tonight!”
Come on, admit it, I know I’m not the only one that this has happened to.
At least, I sure hope not.
This happened to me again last week, but a quick look through the fridge and pantry gave me an idea – the flavours of beef and bean burritos, but in a soup. We’re still having winter here in Manitoba, so anything in soup form is very welcome. This soup is so thick, it’s nearly a stew. Since it’s not heavily relying on the cheese, it is also easy to serve this dairy-free.
The next time 5:00 hits, and you’re not sure what to eat, I hope that this quick and easy Beef and Bean Burrito Soup comes to mind.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 cups gluten-free beef broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice (I used Uncle Ben's Wholegrain Brown)
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Turn the heat down to medium, and add the onion, garlic, pepper, jalapeno, taco seasoning, and chili pepper flakes and cook until the onions are transparent.
- Add the salsa, beef broth, rice, and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let gently simmer until rice is cooked - about 20 minutes.
- Top our bowl of soup with any of the following: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, onion greens, or sliced jalapeno peppers.
This post is linked to Whole Food Fridays.