This Quinoa Crusted Chicken with Mango Chili Sauce consists of marinaded chicken thighs crusted with seasoned quinoa, and topped with a sweet and spicy mango and hot chili sauce.
Have you entered the #ChickenChallenge yet? Last month I shared with you details about the Great Canadian Chicken Challenge from the Chicken Farmers of Canada. By entering, you have a chance to win a trip for 4 to spend Canada Day in Ottawa. When I shared the contest with you, a number of you asked what I would enter. This Quinoa Crusted Chicken with Mango Chili Sauce is one of the many ideas I had bouncing around my head. You could also make a stew, chili, pizza, stir fry, stuffed chicken – the possibilities really are endless.
- 1/4 cup gluten free, low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- sliced onion greens for garnish
- Place the soy sauce, ginger ale, oil, brown sugar, garlic powder, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a large resealable bag. Seal and shake to combine. Add the chicken thighs, seal, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and quinoa to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and transfer to a bowl to refrigerate until chilled. Once cooled, add the paprika, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet that has sides with parchment paper.
- In a resealable bag, combine the rice flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Seal the bag and shake it until evenly mixed. Open the bag and roll down the sides so that you can easily access the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and water.
- Line up the chicken, flour/cornstarch mixture, egg mixture, and quinoa mixture, beside your prepared baking pan.
- Working one at a time, coat the chicken in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture. Using other hand (keeping one hand for dry ingredients and the other for wet), coat the chicken with the egg mixture, and then coat with the quinoa mixture.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the chicken has been coated.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is done. Serve hot with the Mango Chili Sauce and garnish of sliced onion greens.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the Mango Chili Sauce. Place the diced mango, lime juice, and chili paste into a food processor and pulse until a few lumps remain. You can leave it chunkier if you wish.
So now I ask you – What would you create for the Chicken Challenge?
To enter, all you have to do is create a unique recipe that uses these four ingredients: chicken thighs, mango, ginger ale, and quinoa – in any form – and you can add any other ingredients you need to create your dish. Photos are optional. The possibilities are endless! Then head over to Canadian Chicken’s Facebook page to enter.
Eligibility: The contest is open to Canadian residence that are the age of majority in their province or territory.
What can you win?
First prize – A 3 day, 2 night trip for four to Ottawa to celebrate Canada Day with Chicken Farmers of Canada (June 30-July 2, 2014), Chicken Farmers prize pack, Maple Leaf Foods prize pack, and a $500 food bank donation (approx. value is $4,300 depending on winner’s location).
Second prize – Chicken Farmers of Canada prize pack, Maple Leaf Foods prize pack, and $250 food bank donation (approx. value $425).
Third prize – Chicken Farmers of Canada prize pack, Maple Leaf Foods prize pack, and $100 food bank donation (approx. value $225).
So what are you waiting for? Get your four required ingredients and get cooking. You have until 11:59pm ET on May 29th to enter your chicken creation for a chance to WIN and celebrate Canada Day in style!
This post is linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.