Gluten Free Baked Vanilla Doughnuts
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry instant vanilla pudding mix (Kraft Jell-o brand is dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean, scraped)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease your doughnut pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into a large resealable bag. Cut a hole in one of the corners of the bag, and pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the top of the doughnut bounces back when gently pressed on.
- Let the doughnuts sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire cooling rack.
- While the doughnuts are baking, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until warm. Add the seeds scraped from one vanilla bean, and stir until the seeds are evenly distributed.
- Stir in the confectioners' sugar. Turn the element off, but keep the glaze warm. You may have to stir it frequently so that it doesn't crust over on top.
- Spoon the warm glaze over the warm doughnuts. Allow to sit for a few minutes for the glaze to set. Serve and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an air-tight container. Unglazed doughnuts can be frozen.
Recipe by Faithfully Gluten Free at http://www.faithfullyglutenfree.com/2014/04/gluten-free-baked-vanilla-doughnuts.html