Gluten Free Old Fashioned Doughnuts
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well with a wire whisk or fork.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet. Mix by hand with a large spoon. (Do not use an electric mixer).
- Let batter rest for about 15 minutes. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface. If dough is sticky, work in more rice flour blend.
- Roll dough 1/2" thick. Cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Fry in 1 to 3 inches of very hot oil (375 degrees F) until brown on one side. Turn doughnuts over and brown on second side.
- While doughnuts are still warm, toss in a mixture of white sugar & cinnamon to coat. Serve warm.
Recipe by Faithfully Gluten Free at http://www.faithfullyglutenfree.com/2008/08/gluten-free-old-fashioned-doughnuts.html