Gluten Free Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars
Author: Jeanine Friesen
Recipe type: Squares
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Crosby's Fancy Molasses
- 1/3 cup gluten-free quick cook oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper so that the paper goes up both sides of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking soda, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and 1/4 cup molasses. Scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined.
- In a small bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the dough with the quick cook oats and set aside.
- Dump the remaining dough into the prepared baking pan. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top, and spread the dough into an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the filling ingredients. Pour over the crust in the baking pan, spreading until you have an even layer. Top with the reserved dough and oat mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the topping is a beautiful brown colour. Cool completely before storing, loosely covered, in the refrigerator.
The crust will begin to get soggy after about two days in the refrigerator. It is best to serve these squares the first day.
Recipe by Faithfully Gluten Free at http://www.faithfullyglutenfree.com/2013/09/gluten-free-gingerbread-pumpkin-bars.html