Gluten-free Baked Chocolate Doughnuts

There are very few things that I miss after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. Oh, I admit, the first number of months were difficult. Very hard, in fact. But when I started working in the kitchen and converting my favorite recipes to gluten-free, that all slowly faded away. I don’t get fazed when I walk through a bakery anymore. Although the smell of the fresh baked breads can pull a person in, I no longer feel deprived because I am unable to buy any of it. I can walk past all the beautiful artisan breads, and baguettes, and not feel a sense of loss. I can see all the bagels, with their varieties of toppings, and just keep walking.

But, there is still one item that catches my attention. One item that makes me stop in my tracks and stare a little longer. One item that I miss. Doughnuts. Oh, to walk past the display case, filled with all the different doughnuts, some with fillings, others with glazes, sprinkles and nuts. That is one thing that can still make me stop in my tracks and feel a little bit of loss.

That is where these beautiful, baked chocolate doughnuts come in. They are actually quite a bit better than those in the stores. Obviously, since they do not contain gluten, I can eat them. They are baked, not fried; that’s nearly health food! And, they can be ready to eat, fresh from the oven, in about 30 minutes. Yes, they are that dangerous. Baking a pan of doughnuts is not nearly as hard as I thought, making it a dangerous spur-of-the-moment snack.

Comments

1. Terri says

Hi Jeanine…I have run across alot of recipes that have either buttermilk or milk and cider vinegar…can you use buttermilk in the ones with the vinegar instead of the milk/vinegar mix? Missing doughnuts here also! Have bought some from online stores but they get so expensive. Think I’ve try these this weekend!! Thanks!

2. NA says

Wow, Jeanine, they look yummy! Do you have any recipes for filled doughnuts? Or apple cider doughnuts? We used to go to an orchard that had those every fall, all rolled in cinnamon sugar and with a hint of nutmeg in the dough. Mmmmm… Maybe you could work THAT recipe up and have another doughnut in the repertoire!

I have been always debating whether or not to buy a doughnut pan…after seeing your pictures I’m definitely going to pick one up this weekend and give them a try!

4. Genevieve says

I received an electric mini donut maker for Christmas. I’m SO excited to try this recipe (and a large donut pan is now totally on my wish list!) Thanks so much!

Doughnuts…barely ate them before going Gf, but once you CAN’T have them, you do miss them a little. 😉 Thanks for stopping by, Carol!

5. Liz says

Hi Jeanine, Bought a donut pan this weekend and the kids and I baked donuts. They turned out wonderful! We followed the recipe exactly (except used vanilla pudding because I didn’t have chocolate). DS1 and I ate ours with sprinkles. DH and DS2 topped theirs with ice cream and extra chocolate glaze. Everyone thought they were great. Thank you for the recipe!

Well, it sounds like eating them either way would be perfect (as long as they both had sprinkles, hehe). Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed them! :)

6. Pam says

These are so yummy! We have been gluten free for 3 months after realizing the connection between Graves Disease and gluten intolerance. I was an avid wheat baker and your recipes give our whole family hope to be able to enjoy food again. THANK YOU!!!

You are very welcome, Pam! I loved to bake before being diagnosed with Celiac disease too, and I refused to let the GF diet make me quit. :) I hope you have many kitchen successes coming you way!

7. Carrie says

I made these today, in a mini doughnut pan, and got 30! They were AMAZING, not grainy like some tend to be. TY so much!!! I cannot wait to try them in a regular sized pan!

8. Heidi Fromke says

These doughnuts were the BEST! They looked, felt, tasted like the “real” thing! Thanks so much for sharing them! My 14 y/o son is esecially grateful! WAY yummy!

9. Helen Stirling says

I really miss doughnuts and I love to bake so these are great. Only trouble is I am a Brit and I get totally confused with your cup sized compared to grams/oz or fl oz/ml. I have tried US recipes in the past and they never seem to work 8(

Is there an easy way to convert?

10. Tiffany says

This looks awesome! I miss doughnuts and would love to try this recipe. How much flour of a gf flour blend with xathan gum included do you think would sub for what you have? 1 cup?

• Jeanine says

Hi Tiffany! they ARE good! 😉 1 cup minus 1 Tablespoon of pre-blended gluten-free flour should work in this recipe. Enjoy!

11. Elaine says

Just made a batch of these – but put them in mini muffin pans to make the donut holes. I used the small cookie scoop for each one – perfect!!! Rolled them in sugar while still warm. Thanks for another great recipe, Jeanine!!!

12. Terri Vogel says

Hi, Thank you so very much for all the wonderful recipes, were huge fans of the pumpkin scones. As a family of seven I get many requests for other flavors 😉 what could I replace the cocoa powder for vanilla/white donuts? Thanks again for sharing all your hard work!
    Terri V.

• Jeanine says

I haven’t tried it, but you could sub it for more rice flour (equal amounts), and add 2 tsp of vanilla. Also sub the chocolate pudding with vanilla pudding mix. 😉 Again, I haven’t tried it myself, so if you do, please let me know how it works!

13. Terri Vogel says

Jeanie,
    Thank you, I made the chocolate donuts today. WOW they were AMAZING, my little tribe all loved them and thats not an easy thing to do tee-hee 😉 I sure will let you know how the vanilla ones turn out, thank you for the info. Im also going to try and freeze unfrosted donuts for on those on the go mornings, just unthaw the night before and frost in the am. try to make things as easy as I can in a g-free world!
    once again thanks for all your hard work!

14. Dude says

Thanks for posting this. I recently bought a gluten free friend some donuts and felt really bad about it, so i think I might try this recipe and make her some instead. 😀

15. Kathy says

I tried making the recipe as is and it was awesome. My whole family loved them! The next time, I altered the recipe to make vanilla instead of chocolate. I omitted the cocoa and added 1 tsp vanilla extract and switched the chocolate pudding mix with vanilla pudding mix. Delish! I also found heart shaped donut pans at Michael’s craft store and am making the vanilla ones for my daughter’s kinder class. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Jeanine says

Oh, perfect!! That’s great that you made them into vanilla ones, I’ve never tried that! Oh, I bet they’d be cute as little hearts. If you get a chance, share the pic to the FB page or email it to me, I’d love to share it with the readers if possible. :)

16. cdnskmom says

These are so YUMMY!!! I jumped up and made these the moment I came across the recipe, and they were SO easy!

As you said, they are in and out of the oven, ready to eat in 30 minutes… dangerous! And absolutely delicious. Next time I will try the doughnut hole idea in the mini-muffin tin, as a full recipe in a 6 doughnut pan makes the doughnuts really huge… puffy and fat! Far too big a serving for what we normally eat when it comes to treats… we each had half!

Only variation for us was that I just used the cup less a TBsp of my own flour blend, as it is similar to the flours in the recipe… except I typically use millet instead of sorghum.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. Love the pudding spin.

I did these last night with a few changes. Hubby cut out chocolate for Lent, so I used vanilla pudding and subbed it for the cocoa powder. I also used guar gum instead of xanthan gum. I had to bake them longer, but they were amazing. They were gone in 5 minutes which is saying something for gluten-free baking!

18. LizH says

Oh my this sounds wonderful!! Do you think it’s possible to make dairy free? Sub coconut milk and cocoa for pudding mix and milk? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for always posting such beautiful yummies!!

Hi Liz, I think it’s possible, but I haven’t tried it myself. You could use an extra Tablespoon of rice flour in place of the chocolate pudding mix, and sub the milk for a dairy-free version. It ‘should’ work! Please let me know if you try it.

19. Lisa d says

Wondering if you have added whey protein powder into the mix? Trying to shift the carb:protein ratio in recipes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you sooooo much for this recipe. It is excellent. My 10 year old is Gluten Free and we needed something the WHOLE family could eat for Fausnacht Day. We didn’t have a donut pan so we made mini muffins and it was just fine. The funny part is that the only pudding I had was coloring changing pudding, so we used and got slightly green muffins. We all got a good laugh and they were so delicious it didn’t matter what color they were. Thank you for helping us stick with our donut day tradition!!!

21. Erin says

SO YUM!!!!! We glazed with confectioners sugar and milk. Hubby declared “better than dunkin donuts! Success!
    I replaced the milk powder with 1tbsp rice flour and 1 tablespoon extra cocoa powder and used almond milk for the milk to make dairy free. Perfection. THANK YOU for the recipe! Between this and your gf bread we are a HAPPY gf family!!!

I made these again today ( I though had left feedback the first time, whoops!). Anyways, super tatsy! I had to make them egg and dairy free sphere is what I did:
    – for the eggs I used 1/4 cup each plain coconut milk yogurt and applesauce.
    -for the pudding I used 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
    -I used millet I place of sorghum (all I had on hand)
    -I used all tapioca starch in place of orate ( I was out)

I also used 6T palm sugar and about 20 drop nu naturals liquid stevia for the sweetener!

So good, thank you!

Jeanine, you have done it again! I made these this spring with my Nevada grandkids. So much fun. One of the little boys wanted to make some with a caramel glaze as well (we also made chocolate and vanilla glazes, and a batch of your vanilla doughnuts). So I improvised a caramel glaze and that was delicious too. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise with all of us!