Gluten-Free Tea Time! Scones anyone?

Welcome back to Gluten-Free Bread Baking week! This is our 3rd of 5 gluten-free recipes for a variety of breads. October is Celiac Awareness Month, so I’m doing my part to make you aware, and sharing a few great recipes with fellow celiacs. Today I’ve actually got 2 recipes to share with you, but both are for scones. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or, if you’re fortunate enough to have the time, afternoon tea!

This second recipe comes from a fellow gluten-free blogger. She is a new reader over here at The Baking Beauties, and I really appreciate her feedback here, as well as her blog. If you have some time, please check out her blog at Artsy-Foodie. Thank you, Alexa, for the wonderful GF recipes! I couldn’t stop eating these scones, they have a wonderful texture. :)

You might be a celiac if…
…your family thinks you’re crazy for not tasting their new chocolate chip cookie recipe, because surely a little nibble couldn’t hurt right?
…you can spell transglutaminase and dermatitis herpetiformis.
…you show up at the annual church pancake breakfast with a mask and lettuce roll-ups
…having solid poop is the highlight of your day.
…you have actually doodled a new cartoon dog on your notes named “Sprue”
…you have actually considered using a gluten-free bagel for a hockey puck

Comments

Blueberry scones sound great, Betty! Did you just add frozen blueberries, or was there other flavourings added? That sounds like it would be a good add-in too!

2. betty r says

Actually I added frozen Saskatoons and some lemon and lemon zest. The recipe is from one of the cooks on our blog but it’s not posted there..check Lovella’s blog, the scones are called Anneliese’s low fat blueberry scones..

3. Judy says

I just popped by from the Mennonite Girl’s blog…thanks for visiting us there. And I’m so glad to find all these gluten-free recipes, since I have a celiac friend.

4. Alexa says

Thank you Jeanine for featuring my scone recipe. I am so glad you liked them. You have a great blog here. I am enjoying my visits. :-)

5. Anonymous says

awesome first recipe! i am enjoying my gf scones.
    I might suggest a lower temperature though. Possibly 425?
    thanks again…keep the recipes coming please :)

6. saintdeer says

Hey there! I run a Retirement center in Va., and your bread recipe is the best I have found yet. I really dont have time to play around with too many recipes, so when I find a good one I use the heck out of it. Next; chocolate pumpkin scones! That just sounds soooo good!
    Thanks

7. Skaggs says

I just made the pumpkin chocolate scones. They are awesome! I am going to have to hide them so I don't eat them all tonight. Thank you sooooo much for this recipe.

I'm so thrilled to hear that this recipe is doing so well for so many people. the pumpkin & chocolate combo are definitely a winner. :)

9. Anonymous says

The pumpkin scones look wonderful; however, I see the recipe calls for milk. My cousin has celiac, but also has soy and dairy restrictions. Could I substitute rice milk for the regular milk?

10. Anonymous says

Just made the pumpkin chocolate scones with rice milk, instead of regular milk, and they turned out great! I can't wait to give them to my cousin!

11. Earthy Mama says

The cranberry orange scones looked so good that I had to give them a try. Although we are dairy free and don't eat refined sugar so I did my own thing. I added 1/4 cup water instead of yogurt, and 3 tbsp agave nectar instead of sugar. I also used guar gum instead of xantham gum and added gf vanilla extract and gf orange extract. They are delicious! Would you mind if I posted these to my blog?

Earthy Mama, I'm glad that you've made some great substitutions! Feel free to post them on your blog. Glad that they worked out for you! :)

13. Jacqui says

I know this was posted a couple years ago.. but just wanted to mention I made the pumpkin scones.. and they are awesome! I got 12 good size scones. I did use a "flax egg" as my daughter has an egg allergy… and I used coconut milk in place of the regular milk. I didn't use the chocolate chips or pecans (again.. allergy reasons) but drizzled the scones with a maple drizzle when they cooled. Toddler and husband loved them (and they don't have to do gluten free).

I look forward to checking out more of your recipes!

@Jacqui, That's awesome, Jacqui! Glad to hear that the recipe works so well with the variations that you made. And the maple glaze sounds delicious!

15. hope4today says

All the Royal wedding coverage this week made me long for the olden days when Tea and Scones on Sunday afternoons marked the week for our family and our friends. So I combed your archive and voila…I made two batches of the first ones. Added 1/2c of finely diced ham(left over from Easter) and 1/2 of cheddar cheese – no sugar. Good for days when I am on the go in the city and need a GF food I can carry with me. The other one sweet with currants and orange zest…yum!

16. Jeanine - The Baking Beauties says

@hope4today, Those sound fantastic. Some great variations that you've made. And you're right, if you add some protein (or even veggies?) in there, you've got a meal ready to go!

17. Gui says

Thank you for the recipe!! I just finishing baking the scones few minutes ago. I ate it worm and was delicious! Your site is very helpful. Congratulations!

1. […] Pumpkin Chocolate Scones – Delicious! Almost like a heavier cookie, with great flavour. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – I made these a LONG time ago. If I recall correctly, they were great fresh, but got too moist after a few days. Crustless Pumpkin Pie – if you have a celiac coming for Thanksgiving this year, make them this pie. They will kiss you! Pumpkin Bundt Cake – I served this with whipped cream, but it would be SO good with maple cream cheese glaze drizzled down it too. Pumpkin Roll – this has the cream cheese frosting all wrapped up in a neat little package. So delicious! Pumpkin Biscotti – I wish I’d dipped these in chocolate. But I didn’t. Maybe next time. Pumpkin Pecan Tarts – Oh yeah, these were good! Like a mini pumpkin pie…with pecans. Pumpkin Ice Cream – I really, really liked this ice cream. Especially when I made a batch of GF Gingersnap cookies, and made ice cream sandwiches out of it. Delicious! Chocolate Pumpkin Sheet Cake – This cake was perfect, if I do say so myself. The texture, the crumb, the flavour, it was all fantastic. Pumpkin Spiced Doughnut Holes – whether made into doughnut holes or actual doughnuts, these moist-in-the-middle, crusty-on-the-outside doughnuts will make you smile. Pumpkin Cheesecake – this gluten free cheesecake tastes anything but gluten free. The creamy cheesecake teamed with with spicy pumpkin is perfect topped with pecans and Dulce de Leche. Ultimate Pumpkin Waffles –  seriously, the name says it all! Definitely worth the work to make them, and so good topped with ice cream. Next time…I may try whipped cream. […]