Soft Gluten-Free Ginger Cookies

Cookie baking continues! Today’s recipe is for soft gluten-free ginger cookies. These cookies are a favorite of my families, and I like that because they are quick, easy & cheap to make. All good things in my books. These cookies do taste better the second day, I think all spicy cookies taste better when they  have had a chance to sit a bit and let the spices do their thing.

Comments

1. Diamond says

I’ve been making our version of this allrecipes cookie for a couple of years. I use a slightly different flour mix and 1 Tablespoon of Orange Juice. It is AMAZING what that touch of orange flavour does to the whole cookie.

I was planning to make them next week, but have now been inspired to make them sooner!

Oh, I just made another batch tonight, and if I had orange juice on hand, I’d add that. Or even some orange zest. I bet that would be fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion!

2. Michelle says

This recipe came just in the nick of time. I was so wanting to try some soft molasses cookies. I halved the ginger to be on the milder side, but I think it would have been ok, cuz they weren’t that spicy. Mine didn’t turn out quite as thick or pretty as yours. But, I used butter instead of margarine. I might add a tad more sorghum flour next time to see if I can get the height. I was glad to see the sorghum in this recipe because it seems to thicken my cookies. The end of this batch was chilled a bit longer and they seemed slightly thicker and had more of that beautiful crackle. Yum! Thanks a bunch!

3. Stephanie says

These cookies look so good! I have a question for anyone that wants to answer :-) I’m allergic to nightshades as well as gluten, so I don’t use potato starch and I don’t use corn starch either. That leaves Tapioca and Arrowroot. Arrowroot is a little pricey and too much Tapioca causes baked goods to be too “chewy”. Do you think that i could sub sweet rice flour for the potato starch? Thanks!

4. Elaine DuPlessis says

Kind of disappointed that they didn’t turn out as expected. The only change I made was I used brown sugar instead of white, just because I prefer brown sugar in a cookie. They went flat and are a thin, crisp/chewy cookie. My husband loves them and they ARE pretty fantastic ~ just not big & soft. I put the dough in the fridge for a couple of hours to be sure the dough wasn’t too warm, so not sure what happened?

Sorry they didn’t turn out as hoped, Elaine. Sometimes, cookies are such a problem, between the size of eggs, the temp of your butter, the type of baking sheets, whether you line your sheets with parchment or not, there are so many factors. I hope that you give these cookies another try. The brown sugar will change the texture as well, that may have had something to do with it. Sorry, not much help here. :(

5. Robin says

I made these today–they were AWESOME! I used Spectrum shortening because I can’t have dairy. They were exactly right. Thanks so much for this recipe!

6. Melanie says

So glad you posted this! I’ve been nothing but disappointed with the gluten free gingerbread recipes I’ve tried this year and was really needing a successful ginger cookie for my Christmas dessert trays. These were super easy, tasty and smell so yummy. Even after chilling overnight mine came out a bit flat too, but are still awesome. I’ll try a bit more sorghum next time to see if that helps with the loft.

I made these yesterday and they turned out amazing, by far the best gluten free ginger cookie I have ever made!!!! I really messed up by adding 2 tsp of cinnamon by accident then realizing my mistake but they still tasted amazing.

8. Teresa says

These are fabulous. This made my GF 16yr old boy in “heaven” for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing. Mine came out very flat however– what did I do wrong?

• Teresa says

ok so now I feel a bit stupid — reading back through the recipe you said not to get the butter to soft or your cookies will be flat — oh yeah think that is what i did. Teach me to read thoroughly next time and not be in such a hurry

No problem, Teresa! I’ve heard of quite a few that had them go flat (but still good). I think cookies are one of the most difficult recipes to convert, there are so many factors (butter temp, baking pans, etc).

9. Teresa says

Just thought I would share that the dough for this recipe freezes wonderfully. After rolling in sugar placed them all on a cookie sheet and froze them — after freezing them for about three hours put them all in one freezer bag. Pulled them out 2 weeks later placed them on a cookie sheet ( w/ parchment) allowed to come to room temp then baked them as instructed. Yummy, Yummy Yummy and they were not flat !!!!

10. Sarah Ray says

Hi, these cookies look amazing! I’ve been looking for a good cookie recipe :) I was wondering if I could just use a cup for cup baking flour instead of adding all the different kinds. would the recipe work the same? Thanks in advance. -Sarah Ray

• Jeanine says

The recipe calls for sorghum, but you could sub with millet, gluten-free oat, teff, or even more brown rice flour. HTH!

11. Ange says

I am so glad I found some recipes to try. We just found in May our son has several allergies and I am trying to do a gingerbread manhunt. Would I be able to use this dough for shaped cookies as well or would to much handling break them down? The other gluten-free recipe I found takes 8 hours, kinda wanted them before then :).

12. Jeanie says

Just made these – they turned out fantastic! I modified them slightly, as I should not be having dairy (so I used a little). I used 1/4 cup each of butter, Crisco shortening, and Earth Balance Coconut Spread (coconut and palm). Next time, I’ll be braver and try all shortening.
    Based on some other comments, I reversed the sorghum and rice flour measurements – using
    1 cup sorghum and 3/4 cup brown rice. I used a Large egg, and my teaspoon of baking soda was heaping a bit (as well, my spice measurements were heaping a bit – I like spicy ginger cookies), I used parchment and a small cookie scoop – as per Jeanine’s recipe directions, and they turned out perfect! Did not go flat at all.
    I baked them for 10 mins on convection, but altered after to 9 mins for bit more softness inside. (would even try 8 mins)
    Then I tried the large cookie scoop… WOW. It produced those big soft ginger cookies I’ve looked for ever since the gluten free days began!
    Thank you Jeanine for this wonderful recipe!!
    P.S. Do you use bake or convection on your oven? I’m never sure.

Who doesn’t want BIG soft cookies, right?? :) SO glad to hear that you liked them, Jeanie! BTW – whenever I test recipes, I never use convect bake. I stink at using convect bake. :) I’ll use it when I’m in a hurry and just want cookies, but the back of the pan always seems to get darker faster than the rest when I do that.