Gluten-free Cream Puffs

Gluten Free Cream Puffs | The Baking Beauties

I will admit it now…I never mastered making cream puffs before I baked gluten-free. I always had trouble with them not rising properly, or with them staying soggy in the middle. My Grandma was really good at making them though, and she’d whip up a batch if they were coming over for supper, filled with pudding or whipped cream.

These cream puffs are awesome though. Totally crisp, with a beautiful hollow in the middle. The trick, I believe, is in making the “Choux Paste”, which is the dough that can be used to make Cream Puffs, Éclairs, or Crullers. You have to be sure to fully incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet before adding the eggs. Add the eggs slowly, adding one at a time and making sure that it is fully mixed in before adding the next.

Comments

• Jeanine says

The filling is super simple – heavy whipping cream beat with vanilla pudding mix (added enough to make it nice & thick, plus it stabilizes it) and raspberry extract, with a drop of red colouring for the pink colour. Topped it with some homemade hot fudge sauce (from Brown Eyed Baker’s site). DELICIOUS and pretty. :)

• Jeanine says

You’ll love them! :) With the variety of fillings you can do, the options are endless. Followed your blog on FB & Pinterest, love your site, Sarah!

1. Margaret A. Massey says

Hmmm! I think the recipe could be cut in half. I don’t have any room in my freezer. :(
    Company coming in August.

• Jeanine says

Absolutely! Cutting in half would be easy, since it has 4 eggs! I always find recipes with 3 eggs difficult to halve. :)

2. Betty Reimer says

Another beautiful recipe mastered! I just told another friend about your website, she loves it!!

• Jeanine says

I’m not sure, since I haven’t ever used Jules GF flour blend. If you do try it, let us know how it works!

3. rwect says

Jeanine, these look devine! How long do they keep in an airtight container? I’d like to make them ahead of time, just need to know how much time they have!!
    xRx

• rwect says

…also thought you might be pleased to know that a chef (who is not coeliac) said he could not tell the difference between the ones I made and regular gluten filled choux pastry.
      Good job!

4. Camille says

I made these today as a Christmas treat and they were divine. The dough puffed up beautifully even though I made my cream puffs quite large. This tasted just like the delicious cream puffs I used to eat before I got diagnosed with celiac disease. I used the cream puff filling recipe from the food and wine magazine’s website and put dark chocolate sauce on top. My family could not believe how good they were. I will absolutely be making these again.

5. Camille says

Correction: I used the chocolate sauce from the Food & Wine website and the filling from the gluten free cream puff recipe on Seriouseats.com. I am sure these would be delicious with any filling and topping however. Again, this was an amazing cream puff recipe. Try it!

6. Vivi says

Thanks Jennie, after a few trial, i finally get a great result. After nearly a decade not eating cream puff, theybtaste so good !!!

7. Anna says

Hi! I really appreciate you publishing this recipe online! I love to bake, even more so french pastries. I bring them to my French class (I’m in highschool), but unfortunately my teacher and one of my close friends are gluten intolerant. I can’t express how glad I am to not only find a recipe that is gluten free and works for high altitude, but is also delicious! Thanks a bunch! :)

8. Tiily says

I decided to whip up these goodies yesterday to accommodate diabetic and gluten-free. I subbed part of the brown rice flour with oat flour and found them to be wet on the inside although they puffed and looked amazing. Would baking them longer be helpful or do I have to use the brown rice flour? I added unsweetened Greek yogurt, mixed berry yogurt and chopped fresh strawberries to slightly sweetened whipped cream. The taste was fabulous.

Hi Tilly! It could be the difference – the original recipe calls for white rice and sweet rice, so it could be that the oat flour was a little too heavy. But if they still puffed well, a few more minutes of baking may have helped them too. Did you pierce the cream puffs after baking, and leave them in the oven with the door cracked open? That step should usually help the trapped steam to escape. The filling sounds amazing!! Perfect dessert for those gluten and sugar free!

9. Sue Hare says

My sister and I used to make a cream puff dessert in a glass cake pan and we loved it – but now miss it terribly. The recipe called for spreading the dough on the bottom of the pan. It would puff up all over, but especially rise on the sides. Then the filling was made and spread over the center part of the baked dough. It was similar to cream puffs, but a fraction of the hassle! Would this gluten free dough behave in the same way? What modifications would you recommend ( I imagine baking time would be affected – but by how much)? Would appreciate any comments!

Yes, it does work! I think this recipe would be enough for a 9×13 pan, do 1/2 if you’re doing a pie pan. Bake the same way you would the other recipe, it should work the same way. :)

10. Jessie says

just wondering if this would work with 100% brown rice flour instead of white rice flour/sweet rice flour? just want to save going out to buy 2x more ingredients :)

I haven’t tried it using only brown rice, Jessie. That would require some testing to see if it would work the same way. I think you could sub brown rice for the white, but the sweet rice flour is completely different than those two, so you may have to only buy one? You can get sweet rice flour, also called glutinous rice flour, at Asian stores for cheap. Hope this helps!