I’m pretty excited about these little Christmas Rum Balls. After looking through all the recipes & finding everything calling for crushed vanilla wafers, I thought I’d have to pass on these this year. BUT, I decided to use my Gluten-Free Oreo Cookie recipe that I’ve posted in the past as the base for these rum balls. I made the chocolate cookie dough, rolled it out thin on parchment paper (pretty easy to roll, actually), then baked it. Once it was cooled, I broke the cookie up and put it into my food processor, and now I have a resealable bag of gluten-free “Oreo” crumbs, that can be used for the crust in cheesecakes, ice cream (yum!), and of course, in rum balls.
- 2 1/2 cups GF Oreo Crumbs (see above)
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 1/2 cup spiced rum or bourbon
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, broken (I did these fairly fine in the food processor)
- Sift 1 cup icing sugar.
- Stir in the spiced rum mixed with the syrup.
- Add gluten-free chocolate crumbs and nuts.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Shape mixture into walnut sized balls and dredge with remaining sugar or leave plain.
- Store in an airtight container or tin.
These are best if you can make them a few days in advance, so they have time to mellow. So, if you can, make them 5 days before you want to consume them.
Source: Based on a recipe from Food.com.