By now, it should not come as a shock to you that I love pancakes. I’m always trying out new ways to combine flavours, textures, and in this case, methods. These gluten-free yeast pancakes are not your normal baking powder and baking soda pancakes, these get all their fluffiness from the yeast that is added to the batter. They take a little longer to make, since you have to let the yeast in the batter rise, but it is worth it. they have a fantastic yeast-flavour to them, which really adds to the pancakes. Also…the leftovers make fantastic sandwiches. Bonus!
The pancake batter has to sit for a while to get nice & bubbly. Don’t stir it before spooning into your frying pan or griddle, or you will break all those lovely little bubbles. You want the bubbles to give you a nice light, fluffy pancake. Another note to help you get fluffy pancakes, once you flip your pancake over to cook the second side, do not push down on the top of the pancake, you will be squeezing the air bubbles out by doing that.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups warm milk (120-130 degrees F)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and beat for 2 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Pour batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto a lightly greased frying pan or griddle over medium/high heat. Flip pancakes over once bubbles form on the top of the pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or any other favorite toppings you may have.
The all-purpose gluten-free flour blend consists of 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour), 2/3 cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large zipper-top bag. Shake until well blended.
More gluten-free pancake recipes:
Gluten-free Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Gluten-free Cornmeal Cranberry Pancakes
Gluten-free Gingerbread Pancakes
Gluten-free Buttermilk Pancakes
Gluten-free Pumpkin Pancakes
Gluten-free Ricotta Lemon Pancakes