When the cooler temperatures hit us, I like to change up our breakfasts. Instead of cereal and cold milk, it is nice to have a nice warm, stick-to-your-ribs breakfast. This Autumn Baked Oatmeal fits the bill when it comes to that. If you or your family does not like cooked oatmeal, be sure to give baked oatmeal a try, it has a completely different texture. This baked oatmeal includes all the wonderful flavours of Fall. Pumpkin, maple syrup, pecans, apples, cranberries and spices. I love that it can be baked the day before and just reheated in the microwave for a few seconds in the morning. A fantastic breakfast, ready to go, in 30 seconds.
Side Note: Now, I know, not all of you can eat oats, even if they are gluten-free. However, a number of us can tolerate them without any problems. Just make sure your oats are labeled “Gluten-Free” on the package. If you’re unsure, please talk to your doctor about it.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored & chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Pour into lightly greased baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. This would be great topped with some ice cream or whipped cream too.