These Baked Gluten Free Strawberry Doughnuts, naturally flavoured with sweet, juicy berries, will satisfy even the worst doughnut craving!
I’ve said it before. The only thing I miss because of having to eat gluten free is convenience. You know – quickly grabbing a loaf of French bread for dinner, or being able to eat out at any restaurant you like, without having to research it’s menus and practices first. But these gluten free Strawberry Doughnuts have me missing the quick stop at the doughnut shop less and less. Less than 30 minutes people – that’s all the time you need to go from “Hmm… I think I’d like some doughnuts” to “Mmmm… so good!”.
My family isn’t required to eat gluten free, but they all loved the doughnuts too. My husband even said how much better they were than any from the local donut shop. The base for these doughnuts is a simple, vanilla doughnut, but then you add in the finely chopped strawberries, and the moisture that the sour cream gives it, and it’s a winner.
And that glaze? Oh my goodness! So simple, but so delicious. I was so pleased to get a lot of strawberry flavour without having to resort to any artificial flavourings. The strawberries, which are mashed until they are nearly liquid, add the perfect amount of strawberry goodness to these doughnuts.
If you don’t own a doughnut pan yet – what are you waiting for? Your need for a gluten free diet is probably not going anywhere, so you might as well stock your kitchen to make your life the most delicious it can be. And that would mean enjoying some doughnuts. And with a doughnut pan costing less than $10, there is no reason to not enjoy a variety of gluten free doughnuts.
- 2/3 cup (107 g) white rice flour
- 1/4 cup (31 g) tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) finely chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mashed strawberries
- 1 cup (125 g) Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F ( degrees C). Lightly grease a six cavity doughnut pan.
- Whisk together the rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, and stir to combine. Stir in the finely chopped strawberries.
- Scrape the batter into a large resealable plastic bag or piping bag. Cut off one corner, and pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently pressed.
- Allow the doughnuts to stay in the pan for about 5 minutes, before carefully removing them to a cooling rack. Allow the doughnuts to cool while you prepare the glaze.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of mashed strawberries. Stir this into the Confectioners' sugar so that no lumps remain. To get a nice consistency with the glaze, microwave it for about 30 seconds to heat it slightly before dipping the doughnuts into the glaze.
If you like these Baked Gluten Free Strawberry Doughnuts, you might also like:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Doughnuts with Peanut Butter Glaze
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Doughnuts
- Gluten Free, Dairy Free Maple Doughnuts from My Gluten-Free Kitchen
- Gluten Free Pretzel Doughnuts from Flippin’ Delicious
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!