This Creamy Gluten Free and Dairy Free Tomato Soup is the perfect comfort food for those nights you need a quick meal. Some gluten free crackers or grilled cheese, and you’re set!
As a child, my favourite soup was not one that my Mom had spent hours making, using herbs and vegetables that she had grown and harvested in her garden. Recipes passed down from her mother, who learned it from her mother. My favourite soup was tomato soup that came from the red and white tin.
Creamy tomato soup that perfectly paired with crisp salty crackers or a grilled cheese sandwich. Today, however, that red and white tin soup no longer loves me since wheat flour is the thickener used in that ready-in-5-minute soup.
That doesn’t mean that I can’t enjoy a quick, delicious bowl of soup. This vegan Tomato Soup actually starts with a can of tomatoes. Using whole ingredients, it’s also ready to eat in about 30 minutes.
In addition to being gluten free, this soup is also dairy free, getting it’s creaminess from the potato that is added to the mixture while it is cooking. But if you want to make it even creamier, you can add milk of your choice before serving. Coconut milk or cashew milk work great.
If you do not require a dairy-free diet, feel free to add 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (35% cream) after blending the soup, just don’t bring it back up to a boil once the cream has been added or it will curdle.
By omitting the sugar, and using a Whole 30 compliant vegetable stock, this Creamy Gluten Free and Dairy Free Tomato Soup is okay to enjoy while doing a Whole 30.
During the cool autumn months, and the cold winter months, warm soup is a welcome addition to any lunch kit. With the help of a stainless steel food jar, you can pack hot soup in the morning, and still have a nice hot meal at lunch time.
These containers also work well for keeping reheated leftovers, like mashed potatoes with chicken, veggies and gravy (my favourite,) warm until lunch.
If you like this Creamy Gluten Free and Dairy Free Tomato Soup, you may also like:
- Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup
- Gluten Free Turkey Lasagna Soup
- Dairy Free Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Gluten Free Cheeseburger Soup
Creamy Gluten Free and Dairy Free Tomato Soup Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced onion
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1- 28 fl. oz (796 ml) tin diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) gluten-free vegetable stock (chicken stock can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons (7.5-10 ml) salt (less if your diced tomatoes contain salt)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried parsley, or 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) granulated sugar (omit for Whole 30)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in the oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth, or ladle a small amount into a blender and blend until smooth. If you are using a blender or food processor, only work with small amounts of soup at a time. Too much hot liquid in your blender may cause the top to blow off while blending. That's a horrible mess to clean up.
- Serve with gluten-free croutons, or gluten-free grilled cheese sticks. Enjoy!
If dairy is not an issue with you, feel free to add 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream after blending for an even creamier tomato soup.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
NOTE: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Images were updated February 2018.