Baking these Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings makes them nice & crispy without the hassle of deep frying. A healthier way to enjoy wings.
Anyone with a sports fanatic in the house can tell you, “game day” doesn’t last for only a single day, it lasts the entire season. In reality, game day is as much about the food as it is about the score. So it’s important to have a variety of great finger-food recipes on hand to help you make it from pre-season to the championship finals – recipes like these Crispy, Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings.
But why not have a healthier option? Instead of frying these little guys, they are boiled before being baked, giving them a nice, crispy skin before they are tossed in a simple 3 ingredient sauce.
How to make these Crispy Baked Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings:
- Boil the wings. By boiling the wings before baking them, you remove some of the fat unnecessary fat, and start to cook a nice, tender piece of chicken.
- Pat the wings dry. Now that we’ve started the cooking process, and removed some of the fat from the chicken wings, we need to make sure they are completely dry before baking. This will help give us a really nice crispy skin.
- Arrange the wings on a wire rack. Once the wings are dried, place them in a single layer on a wire rack. This rack will be placed on a foil-lined baking sheet that has sides. By lining the pan with foil, you will make clean up that much easier.
- Bake in a hot oven. To ensure that the skin crisps up nicely, you have to have to bake them in a hot preheated oven. These bake a total of 40 minutes, turning them once.
- Toss in sauce. While the chicken wings are baking, you can mix up this super simple sauce of peach jam, chili paste, and lime juice. A perfect balance of sweet and heat. Once the wings have finished baking, place them in a large heat-proof bowl, and pour the sauce over top. Toss until they are evenly coated. Serve, and enjoy!
Serve wings with:
- 2 pounds chicken wings (I used drumettes)
- 1 cup peach jam
- 2-3 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- onion greens for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Trim off any extra fat from the chicken wings.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, adding 1-2 tablespoons of salt to the water (similar to when you boil pasta).
- Place the chicken wings in the boiling water, and boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the wings from the water to a wire cooling rack placed over a baking pan. Let the wings dry for a few minutes before patting them dry with paper towels. The drier the chicken wings are before you begin to bake them, the crispier they will become.
- Place the chicken wings on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Flip the wings over, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peach jam, chili paste and lime juice. Reserve half of the mixture in a separate bowl to be used as dipping sauce when you serve the wings.
- Place the hot chicken wings in the large bowl with the remaining sauce. Stir and toss to coat the wings completely with the sauce.
- Transfer the wings to a plate and serve with the reserved dipping sauce.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.