My Mother-in-Law has made fruit pizza for quite a few desserts. It is something that everyone likes, and the bright colours really show that spring is (finally) arriving. But, since celiac disease has entered the family, things needed to be changed up a bit. The last time we got together for supper, I brought this gluten-free Fruit Pizza for dessert, and there were no leftovers!
This fruity pizza, which has the base of a sugar cookie, is simple but delicious! It can be made up to a day before, depending on the fruit that you are using. I’d suggest using fruits that do not have a tendency to get mushy over time, like bananas do. Strawberries, cherries, grapes, peaches, nectarines, blueberries, kiwi, and mango are just a few suggestions. You are really only limited by what you have on hand or what is in season. I used canned peaches, and although not as good as fresh, it was still quite tasty.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavoured gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioner's (icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Enough bright, colourful fruit to cover the top of your pizza.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- In bowl of mixer, beat margarine until creamy.
- Add rice flour, xanthan gum, gelatin, egg, sugar, milk, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Beat well.
- Add tapioca starch and potato starch. Beat until well combined.
- Place dough in lightly greased pizza pan. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough, and smooth it out, filling the pizza pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly browned around the outside of the crust. Cool.
Cream Cheese Layer
- Beat cream cheese, confectioner's sugar & vanilla until smooth & creamy. Spread on cookie crust, once it is completely cooled.
- Wash, dry & cut fruit as necessary. Arrange on top of cream cheese layer in a circle pattern, starting from the outside and going in.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, cornstarch, orange juice, lemon juice and water. Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but not set up. Spoon over fruit. Chill for at least 2 hours, then cut into wedges and serve.
Your cream cheese layer will prevent your cookie from getting soggy from the fruit & glaze. Try to spread the cream cheese to the outside of the cookie, and pour the glaze when it is thick enough to not just run over the fruit, but coat the fruit.