It is definitely springtime when the rhubarb’s thin, tender stalks are ready to cut & use. This upside down cake combines rhubarb with moist, sweet strawberries, which bake up into a beautiful sauce under a moist cake with a hint of lemon. Once it has baked, you turn the cake out of the pan, putting the rhubarb and strawberries on the top of the cake. Perfect served with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup strawberry flavoured gelatin powder (dry Jell-o powder)
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot starch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the chopped strawberries and rhubarb over the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the strawberry flavoured gelatin powder evenly over the fresh chopped fruit.
- Place the white rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and xanthan gum in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk until smooth. Add the yogurt, milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until mixed.
- Pour cake batter over the chopped fruit, and gently spread to fill the pan with an even layer of batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is a nice golden brown and it bounces back when gently poked with a finger.