These simple danishes were SO yummy, and they were super quick to make as well. They do not have the same flaky texture as a regular danish does, but they were great for a family breakfast outside on the deck. Wonderful. (and gluten free too!)
2 tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
raspberry jam (about 1 tablespoon on each danish; I used a GF blueberry pie filling)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all ingredients, Mix well to remove all lumps.
3. Place approximately 1/4 cup of dough in a small oval on greased baking sheet. Flatten down a little.Repeat until dough is used.Make a small dent in the middle of the danish with your thumb for the filling.Set aside.
4. Now take about 1 tablespoon of your favorite jam and spoon into the imprinted middle of each danish.
5. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden brown.
6. While danishes are baking prepare icing. Use powdered sugar and water to make a runny icing, or prepare your favorite icing making it a bit runny.
7. When danishes are finished remove from oven and let cool a little bit. Then drizzle icing over danishes.