And let me tell you, I am so glad that I did! These gluten free Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins were not only the best gluten-free ones I’ve ever had, but they beat anything that I made before going gluten-free as well! Yes, THAT good!
They are a bit on the sweet side, which I liked since our chili was a little on the warm side, but you can cut back on the sugar without a problem if you don’t want your cornbread sweet.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup white sugar (less if you want)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and stir to combine.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients, and stir until few lumps remain.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Best served warm.