I have been playing around with different salads this summer. They are great because they can be made ahead, which makes them great to take to a barbecue or even camping. I’ve never really had a black bean salad before, but decided to give it a try this summer. I tried one recipe, and was terribly disappointed. The search continued. Then I came across this recipe. It included a lot of different veggies, which had me thinking that this would be the recipe for me. I was right! It is packed with fiber and flavour, what more could a person ask for? 🙂 Next time, I think I’ll add some finely chopped Jalapeno pepper to it and eat it like a salsa.
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
2. In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.