You’re running out of time! It’s nearly dinnertime, but you don’t know what to serve the family. My suggestion? This Creamy Mexican Chicken Skillet Dinner.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve found that things have really gotten quite a bit busier in this last month. With school in full swing, and the kid’s activities starting up, you have to plan ahead a little more. The nights I don’t plan ahead I’m searching my pantry, fridge and freezer at 4:00, trying to piece together a meal that the whole family will eat. This Creamy Mexican Chicken Skillet Dinner uses ingredients that I always stock, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, and uses only one skillet, so fewer dishes to clean up later. By bulking it up with the corn and black beans, I was also able to feed my family of four, and have leftovers, with only two chicken breasts. I really like that.
If you roasted a chicken earlier in the week (which is totally not intimidating when you follow these cook times), you can definitely use the leftover chicken in this dish. That will shorten your dinner prep by another 10 minutes or so. How you want to serve this is completely up to you. We served it over rice with a side of corn chips, but it would also be fantastic served in a burrito (using a gluten-free wrap), wrapped in lettuce, or on top of nachos. My kids even mentioned that it might make a good Mexican Chicken Taco Pizza. It is really very versatile, just like a skillet dinner should be.
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed into 1 cm (1/2-inch) pieces (or 2 cups cooked, diced chicken)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) taco seasoning
- 2 cups (500 ml) your favourite salsa
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn kernels (if frozen, defrosted)
- 1 cup (250 ml) black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- onion greens, cilantro, or sour cream to garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the chicken in the oil until cooked throughout.
- Add the cream cheese and taco seasoning, and continue cooking and stirring until it has cream cheese has melted.
- Add the salsa, corn, black beans, and cheddar cheese. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated throughout and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with onion greens, cilantro, or sour cream. Serve over cooked rice, gluten-free pasta, corn chips, or wrapped in a gluten-free tortilla.
Chicken.ca has a wide variety of Quick & Easy gluten-free recipes that could come to the rescue when you’re in a bind. Like the Baked Spinach & Chicken Omelet, or the Chicken Salad with Fruit. I can’t wait to try the Coffee and Cocoa Grilled Chicken. For more great chicken recipes, dinner inspiration, and tips on how to safely prepare your chicken, be sure to follow Chicken Farmers of Canada on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.