You may have heard the term “food hack” being used lately, but what is a food hack? A food hack is simply when you use an item in a different way than originally intended, often creating a quick and easy shortcut. It’s like making these taco shells with plain tortillas, or these Easy Cheesy Sticks using a slice of bread. Udi’s Gluten Free recently ran a “What the Hack” contest, where people were asked to create a food hack using any of Udi’s products. Food hacks have become quite popular as people look for quicker and easier ways to feed their family.
I was asked by Udi’s to create a food hack using their products to inspire you guys to think outside the cookie cutter. I decided to use their Pizza Crust and Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies to make this delicious dessert pizza. This Easy Apple Crumble Pizza includes a layer of slightly sweetened cream cheese, and a wonderful homemade apple filling. You are welcome to use bought pie filling if you have a brand you enjoy. I wanted this to be more apples than filling, so I opted for homemade.
- 2 Udi's pizza crusts, baked according to directions and cooled
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large Gala apples (or other apple that keeps its shape when cooked), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon water mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 Udi's Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip cookies, chopped
- 1/3 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Layer:
- Beat together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup confecterions' sugar, and maple extract. Divide between the two crusts, and spread to cover the crusts.
- In a large skillet, combine brown sugar, water, butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring the mixture to a boil, and add the apples. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. While the mixture is still bubbling, stir in the water/cornstarch mixture, and stir to distribute evenly. Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding to the pizzas.
- Once you have added the apples on top of the cream cheese layer, add a layer of cut up Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip cookies.
- Stir together 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Add more milk, 1/2 a teaspoon at a time, if it is too thick. Drizzle on the pizzas.
- Cover and refrigerate pizzas for at least 1 hour before serving. These pizzas keep well, and can be made in advance without a problem.
Note: I did not receive monetary compensation to write this post. I did receive products to create the recipe. All opinions expressed are my own.