These Easy Salted Butterscotch Truffles have a soft, silky-smooth center of butterscotch goodness that is encased in a shell of semi-sweet chocolate, and topped with a light sprinkle of sea salt. The perfect addition to your holiday trays or for gift giving.
My first Christmas after being diagnosed with Celiac disease, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do for Christmas baking.
I used to do a lot of baking every Christmas, and that year I was still having a lot of trial and error when it came to baking.
I decided to try to find naturally gluten free sweets that I could make, and came across a recipe for Easy Decadent Truffles. That recipe uses cream cheese, icing sugar, and melted chocolate chips as the base of the truffle.
Years later, while I was doing my Christmas baking, I decided that I needed to add some truffles to the list. They are so pretty placed among the cookies on the trays.
I decided to play with the flavors a little bit though, and that is when I made these easy Salted Butterscotch Truffles. When I shared a picture of them on my Facebook page, many comments came in asking me to share the recipe.
So if you are experiencing your first gluten free holiday, or if you are hosting someone that needs to eat gluten free, don’t fret. These easy no-bake Salted Butterscotch truffles are naturally gluten free, easy to make, and only require a few simple ingredients.
How to make Salted Butterscotch Truffles:
- Start with softened cream cheese. This will help it to mix up a nice smooth truffle filling.
- Add the icing sugar, melted gluten free butterscotch baking chips, and vanilla.
- CHILL. Yes, this recipe requires the filling to chill. Not once, but twice.
- Roll the truffle filling into balls, and FREEZE. If the filling seems too sticky to roll into smooth balls, you can smooth them more after freezing.
- Dip the chilled truffle filling balls in melted chocolate, and sprinkle the tops with sea salt.
- Chill & enjoy. Store in a single layer in an air-tight container the refrigerator or freezer.
Looking for more naturally gluten free treats? How about:
- Peanut Butter Confetti Squares
- Jello Popcorn
- Amazing Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- Sugar Free Vanilla Macaroons
- Flourless Chocolate Mudslide Cookies
Easy Salted Butterscotch Truffles recipe:
I used Hershey Chipits baking chips. As of October, 2019, these baking chips in Canada contain no gluten ingredients. Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I used Hershey Chipits baking chips. As of October, 2019, these baking chips in Canada contain no gluten ingredients.
Originally posted December 2014. Images updated November 2019.