This gluten free Chicken Stir Fry is great for a quick weeknight dinner, or those days you are really missing take-out. Made from scratch, you can add whatever vegetables you like to customize your stir fry.
Back in the pre gluten-free days, my husband and I enjoyed having a quick stir fry for supper, but it became a thing of the past once I was diagnosed with Celiac because I only knew how to make stir fry using the little packages of seasoning mixes that you find in the grocery store.
You know the ones…just add water and *presto*, your sauce is prepared.
I decided to try my hand at recreating this dish from scratch – no packages this time. It is super easy to make, and can actually be prepared in less time than take-out.
The great thing about making your own gluten free Chicken Stir Fry at home is the ability to customize it with whatever vegetables you love. The recipe, as written, is only a suggestion. If there is something you don’t like, feel free to make substitutions.
Some things that would go great in chicken stir fry are chopped up zucchini, baby corn, water chestnuts, or sugar snap peas. Don’t like bean sprouts? Feel free to leave them out. The choice is yours.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce. If you don’t want a really saucy chicken stir fry, feel free to halve the sauce ingredients. We like to have a lot of sauce so that it flavours the rice or noodles that we serve it with as well.
If you enjoyed this gluten free Chicken Stir Fry, you may also like:
- Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- The Best Gluten Free Won Ton Wrappers
- Gluten Free Chinese-style Chicken Balls with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Gluten Free Egg Rolls
Easy Gluten Free Chicken Stir Fry Recipe:
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth (I use reduced sodium)
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch strips; place in a resealable plastic bag. Combine soy sauce, ground ginger and garlic powder. Add to bag and shake well. Let marinade, in refrigerator, for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil, stir fry the chicken until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil and stir fry the broccoli, bean sprouts, red pepper, carrots, onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Return chicken to the wok.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce and cornstarch. Pour into wok and continue stirring until the sauce thickens and is bubbling.
- Serve over rice noodles or rice.
This recipe for gluten free Chicken Stir Fry does have quite a bit of sauce. We prefer it that way so we have sauce for our rice or noodles that we eat it with. If you prefer less sauce, you can halve the sauce ingredients.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out my Gluten Free Chicken Recipes board on Pinterest for inspiration.
This recipe and images were updated in February 2018.