Baking something tasty doesn’t have to be complicated. These simply delicious Gluten Free Lemon Scones are a great example of that!
Just a head’s up to everyone – Mother’s Day is coming up this weekend! May 8th, to be exact. Baking up a batch of these delicious Gluten Free Lemon Scones is a great way to show your Mom how much you love her. I know I’d be excited to receive some yummy gluten free baked goods (that I didn’t have to bake).
Lemon always makes me think of my Mom. I know she loves all things chocolate too, so I know we’re related, but she also loves anything with lemon. These scones would be the perfect addition to a brunch or afternoon tea – served along with some fresh fruit and yogurt, you would have the perfect springtime feast.
Scones are so great to make because you don’t need any extra kitchen equipment that you don’t already own (everyone has a cheese grater, right?), and they bake up so quickly with no special pans. These gluten free Lemon Scones are full of lemon flavour, but are still light, the way scones should be. I slathered mine with my easy 10 Minute Lemon Curd, but they would be great with a simple glaze of lemon juice and Confectioners’ sugar, or even a drizzle of melted white chocolate.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 m) milk
- 1 1/4 cup (200 g) brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup (31 g) tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons (15 ml) lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cold, unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the lemon juice and milk together. Let this sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk together the rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, lemon zest, baking soda and salt.
- Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Stir so that the butter is evenly distributed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the lemon juice and milk mixture. Whisk until it is smooth. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Scrape the dough into a ball on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, and using your hands, press the dough into a disk, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap, and using a long, sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges, leaving the wedges in the circle until after it is baked.
- Bake the Lemon Scones in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the scones are a nice, golden brown colour.
- Remove from oven, and let cool for 5 minutes before re-cutting the wedges on the lines you cut before baking.
- Allow scones to cool 10-15 minutes before serving, since the texture improves when they have a chance to cool slightly.
- Serve with a dollop of Lemon Curd or an easy glaze of Confectioners' sugar and lemon juice.
If you like these Gluten Free Lemon Scones, you may also like:
- Gluten Free Vanilla Scones
- Gluten Free Rhubarb Scones
- Gluten Free Strawberries & Cream Scones from What the Fork Food Blog
- Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free Cranberry Almond Scones from GF Skinny Chef
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!