- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Featherlight Flour Mix (*see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 40 Kraft caramels (10 ounces), unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper (makes for easy removal later).
- Melt the chopped chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and set aside while you make the brownie batter.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugars until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract and then the melted chocolate mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and, on low speed, beat in the flour, xanthan gum & salt.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or just until the brownies are barely firm to the touch. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Place the unwrapped caramels and cream in a saucepan and melt, over low heat (stirring frequently), until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the toasted pecans, making sure all the pecans are coated with caramel. Spread the caramel topping evenly over the still warm brownies and let cool to room temperature. Then cover and refrigerate brownies for an hour or until the brownies are firm.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat (or microware until hot). Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Remove the brownies from the refrigerator and, using a fork, drizzle the Ganache over the brownies in a zigzag pattern. Cover and refrigerate until the chocolate is set. Using a sharp knife, cut the brownies into 48 bars.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days, or in the freezer for longer storage.
To toast pecans, bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until lightly browned & fragrant.
The featherlight flour mix that I use is from Bette Hagman. It is as follows: 3 cups rice flour, 3 cups tapioca starch, 3 cups cornstarch, 3 tablespoons potato flour.
Source: Joy of Baking