Wanting to feed your family a hearty meal, but don’t have much time? This Easy Cheesy Veggie Chowder has been my “go-to” for just such meals for years already. It can easily be adapted to use up what you have on hand, or what your family likes. Served with a side of hot gluten free biscuits, you can have a satisfying hot, homemade meal on the table in the same time, or less, than convenience foods. And it costs only a fraction of the cost of convenience foods too!
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) diced potatoes
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies (or 1 cup frozen corn and 1 cup frozen peas)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) onions, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring the water to a boil. Add the potatoes, frozen veggies, celery, carrots, onions,salt and pepper and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are easy to pierce with a fork.
In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cornstarch and whisk until you have a paste.
While whisking, slowly add the milk. Bring the milk mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking to prevent any burning. Add the shredded cheese, and continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
Add the milk mixture to the vegetables, and stir until incorporated. Season with additional salt and pepper. If you'd like, you can add leftover chicken or turkey before serving.
This soup is great as is, but the flavour improves if you let it simmer over low heat for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.