Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns

Gluten-free Hamburger Buns | The Baking Beauties

HELLO!! Have you missed me? Things are crazy busy here. A month ago, my husband started a new job (mentioned last time), and the commute was too long for our family. Rather have him at home than in a car. So, we’ve bought a house an hour away, are in the process of packing everything up (and clearing everything out, boy, you can collect a LOT of stuff over 11 years), and have begun the process of selling our house. So, I haven’t been baking much lately, and all my “things” for taking food pictures have been put away for the time being. We get our house on August 1st, and move in on August 8th, so there is a lot of work to be done before then. I hope some of you have been able to enjoy the summer so far! For me, it seems to be just flying by this year!

Nothing says summer like barbecued burgers. Last summer, I ate all my burgers plain, without a bun. It’s alright, but it’s just not quite right. This year, I found a recipe for Focaccia bread, which also works super for hamburger buns. I really do like these buns, they are light, flavourful, and smell like you’re baking buns when they are baking. I enjoy them slathered with strawberry jam and a slice of cheddar cheese as well, so they don’t have to be used just for burgers. :)

You can find the recipe for these wonderful gluten-free Hamburger Buns at The Gluten-Free Homemaker.

Comments

1. Iris says

Guess what we're having for supper this week? These look great and I will be trying them soon. It's not a burger without a bun!

2. betty r says

Wow Jeanine..that hamburger looks so delicious..good thing I finished supper or I would need to haul out the grill!
    My GF friend once said she so missed the smell of baking buns and then be able to eat them as well..I must tell her about these.

3. Amy Green (Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free) says

Those buns are beautiful…what an accomplishment. I had to look twice because they don't look GF. Way to go!! I'm bookmarking this one. :)

I'm keeping you in my thoughts for a speedy home sale that brings you everything you need.

4. Iris says

Made these for supper last night. My dough was thinner than you described, but the buns worked fine anyway. I must have added a touch too much water. I'll watch for that next time.
    It was so good to have a REAL burger again, complete with all the messy toppings. The buns tasted great and we will have them often, since this recipe was easy and didn't take too long to make.
    Thanks again!

5. cat says

Wow – A burger in a bun – it's been years! I just found you today and have been cruising thru recipes and making a list of lots of bread recipes to try. Can't wait! Was wondering if you had tried freezing these and if so, how they were later?

Glad that you liked them, Iris! And they really don't take long to make either, with only 1 rise time and a short bake time. Mmm…burgers! :)

Cat, I have frozen them, and they are just not as good as fresh. They get a bit crumbly & dry when they have been frozen, unfortunately. Like most GF things…best the first day or two!

7. Natalie says

Just stumbling upon your site and I made these buns yesterday. I have finally found my home-made GF buns!! Yes, the smell is divine while baking and the taste once cooled a bit is great. Best home-made bun so far for me! I had some with butter. YUM. Once cooled I wrapped each bun in plastic wrap, then put each one in a zip lock bag and stored in fridge. Today I took one out, cut it in half (did not crumble one bit) and toasted it on low and had butter and jam on it. It toasted really well! I am so happy I found this. Does anyone know how many calories are in each bun?? I estimated about 320 cals but I could be wrong….THanks for the great bun recipe!

8. Anonymous says

the buns look amazing, but I haven't been able to find sweet rice flour in any stores in my area. do you have any substitution suggestions?

9. Krista says

Thank you so much for this recipe. They turned out so beautiful and even worked with a baking soda – lemon juice substitute for yeast! THANK YOU! :)

10. Anonymous says

Have you ever used a muffin-top pan to make these? I have one and thought it might work well, but was wondering….. Hope to be making these as soon as my order of flours arrives.

Thanks for a great blog!

I haven't tried using a muffin top pan, but I'm sure it would work well. I actually use the 4" pot pie tins, they don't stick in there at all and pop right out. I have used the english muffin rings, and had them stick quite badly. Even rings made of foil. But for some reason, those foil pans work great. Go figure!
    Good luck with them, and thanks for stopping by! :)

12. Domestigoth says

My friend who can't eat gluten was complaining about how he misses hamburgers, so I whipped up a batch of these buns. I reduced the water a bit (started with 3/4 cup and then added from there) so that the dough would be thick enough to stay in a bun-shape without the use of a special pan (didn't have anything on hand that was the right shape or size), and just dropped big scoops of it onto a well-greased cookie sheet. I also sprinkled some rosemary and sea salt on top, for a little extra colour and flavour. The texture came out wonderfully.

13. Anonymous says

thank you so much, i love your recipies, i made it for my son, it turns out perfect. thanks and thank you Linda (GF homemaker).

14. Felice says

I made these for my son. They turned out awesome and I was able to freeze them. I made some hot dog rolls as well by using a bagette pan and used a hamburger roll pan for the rest. I did change the recipe a little, i used only on cup of brown rice flower, for the other third cup I substituted amaranth flour I also added about 2 TBL of flax seed meal. I think the flax seed meal helps them retain moisture. Thanks for a great recipe.

Great tips, Felice! I haven’t tried them as hot dog buns yet, but with your suggestions, I think I will do that next year (when the fire pit has less snow on it). :)

15. Jill Brock says

I tried these last night and they were very good. They didn’t break apart at all through the whole burger! I use jumbo canning lid rings instead of a hamburger bun pan. They work great and store easily.

I’m going to try your 2012 recipe next time, but I’m keeping this one too.

I love these bread rolls. However, I struggle to find sweet rice flour. Is there something else I can use in place of the sweet rice flour? Cornstarch maybe? Thanks for the wonderful recipes. I tell all my celiac friends about your site!