Gluten-Free Bagels

Gluten-free Bagels. When you are on a gluten-free diet, having a good bagel can be a challenge. In the past year, I have found some fantastic store bought bagels, but they can cost up to $8 for 4 of them. With prices like that, having bagels is a very, very special treat, not something you can eat on a daily basis.

These bagels are not only gluten-free, but they are also egg-free and dairy-free, and they cost about $2.85 for 4, or $0.70 each.

A special Thank-you to Linda, one of my readers, for encouraging me to give bagel making a try. I hope you enjoy this recipe Linda!

To make things a little easier, I’ve also created a video to go along with the recipe. If anything at all seems unclear, please watch the video. You can also take the time to subscribe to my YouTube channel, while you are there. I am not sure I’ll be making videos on a regular basis, but when something strikes me as needing a video, I’ll try to do that.

Alright, on with the recipe!

Comments

1. Susan (mom) says

I made raisin bagels and they turned out great. I cut back on the salt and added 1 1/2 tbsp sugar,1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 c rehydrated raisins.Add the raisins at the end of mixing time. They will bake a bit quicker because the dough has a bit more sugar in it…

2. Laurel says

BREAKFAST! Breakfast. I can have breakfast again. Geezopeet. What’ll I wear? I’ve been telling myself for 20 years I don’t need no stinkin’ breakfast. You just made a liar out of me and I love you for it. I am going to make these when the hubby’s away so I CAN EAT THEM ALL!!! (Insane laughter.) No cold fruit and yogurt breakfasts for me this winter, no ma’am. Can you see my demented dance?

Those look awesome, Janine! Definitely going to try those. Ditto to Laurel’s comment. Half the time don’t even eat breakfast, just grab a pack of almonds on my way out the door!

I just don’t know how you guys can’t eat breakfast. Definitely give these a try, didn’t your Momma ever tell you breakfast was the most important meal of the day? 😉

• Laurel says

Jeanine: The reason we are so excited and you are so special is that when your sensitivities cascade from gluten, to dairy, to soy, egg and corn and who Knows what else – breakfast becomes incredibly difficult and so you have fruit, nuts, yogurt or just wait for lunch. Yes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day unless it is so painful you can’t eat for another 5 days. So just accept your new moniker Saint Jeanine and get over it. :-)

Wow, we both must have had bagels on the mind! I just posted my beloved gf bagel recipe yesterday too. Yours are lovely and I will definitely have to give them a try. I’ve been making mine out of necessity since my son has a wheat and corn allergy. Of course, it is a huge cost saver too!

5. Heidi says

WHoo-oo! The guy at Vita-Health can’t understand why I always buy them out of sorghum flour when I get to the city…I LOVE your bread recipe that uses a similiar blend of flours so I am excited to try these.

Can you put your considerable talents to finding/developing a sugar cookie recipe that :
    1. you can use cookie cutters with
    2. doesn’t have tapioca flour (which I hate the taste of!!!!) in it.
    Land o Lakes has a recipe that is wonderful to work with but has that icky tapioca aftertaste –
    even if you use butter.
    Last year I substitued your GF flour blend in my old recipe and added xanthum gum but they spread out all over the place when baked. We love stars and Christmas trees at Christmas. Because of the chronic illnesses I have I really don’t have the strength to do more than one baking session a year!
    Looking for something to use my sprinkle collection on,

Heidi

• Kate says

Heidi,
      I am curious if it is all tapioca or just some? I thought my aversion was all tapioca, but I realized that different brands taste differently. What really brought this home was using Bob’s Red Mill tapioca when I made a Brazilian tapioca bun using it and I when “Aha!” , that is the disgusting aftertaste I have been trying to identify. Since then I have been buying my tapioca starch from the Asian store for less than a dollar a pound and don’t notice the taste, and I am a bit of a super taster. I am still not fond of recipes that uses tapioca as a main ingredient, but don’t mind it all as a minor ingredient. I have also been using Pamela’s bulk bread and muffin/pancake mix and whatever she uses doesn’t offend my tastebuds. Just thought I would share my journey, because about a year ago I steered clear of all tapioca because of the taste.

6. Linda Lawrence says

OMG your bagels are amazing. I can’t wait to try your version. I am so glad you took the challenge. Will let you know how I make out. Tuesday’s lookin’ like a bagel day. Thanks again, Jeanine.

7. Betty Reimer says

Great photo Jeanine, and I know these bagels must taste fantastic. I love breakfast and yes it is an important meal..a good way to start your day!

8. Sharon Luke says

I am going to have to try these bagels…and save one for my teenage son and not tell him where it came from! Only question…what can I sub for Rice flour? Like another poster I am gluten, wheat, soy, corn, rice, dairy intolerant! Man that usually only leaves meat and veg. :O( I can have oats though if that helps! Perhaps oat flour or flakes??? Thanks in advance for any help or assistance…my life has been spent on GF blogs for the past year trying to sort stuff out!

9. Desi says

These came out great!!! No need to buy bagels ever again.
    Thanks so much for posting this. I can’t wait to make anothter batch.

10. Kate says

I recently made bagels and rather than trying to shape the bagels with my hands I sprayed the inside of a gallon ziplock bag with oil, scooped all my dough into it, cut off a corner and piped circles onto squares of parchment. As per Alton Brown (I believe, I pick up tips all over the place) after the bagels had risen, I just boiled the bagels paper and all. The paper came off easily and I didn’t have to worry about the dough sticking. The perfectionist in me appreciated the smooth texture of the outside of the bagel. I also liked not having to worry about sticking. I am excited to try adding the molasses to the water. I thought that just boiling them in water seemed like something was lacking. Thank you for all that you share with us.

That’s an awesome tip, I’ve never thought of that. I tried it once with donuts, and it failed. let me know if bagels work though!

Oh, and some of the bumpy top comes from GF bread rising, not from the forming. They were really quite smooth when I formed them, but GF bread does this funny thing when rising & baking, and you can’t determine how smooth the top of the bread will be.

I am thrilled to have found this recipe. I literally have searched what feels like the entire online world for a yummy gluten-free and dairy-free bagel recipe and I’ve finally found it! I will be making these this weekend, potentially trying to make them heartier with higher fiber flours like quinoa or coconut. Have you tried other flour combinations? I love that these don’t have eggs, the flax meal will add the perfect balance and health factor I’m looking for in a bagel. I think I’m going to Kate’s idea with the piping to make shape them! I seriously can’t wait to try to these!!

I have not tried other flours yet. I think you could sub out the sorghum for millet or oat, but I would be leery of using the coconut flour, since you would have to use way less flour, and things would be more difficult to figure out. I think with the brown rice, sorghum, and loads of flax, they are a rather healthy bagel as is. :)

12. Chowes13 says

Hello, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I would love to use flaxseed but seem to have a sensitivity to it. Any way to use eggs as a subsitute? If so, how many?

13. Laurel says

I’m eating my second bagel and they’re not even cool yet! I made 2 salt bagels and 2 cinnamon raisin (I left half the dough in the bowl and added the flavorings after I’d formed the 1st two.) I ended up amending the recipe a little though. I can’t have vinegar so I replaced it with freshly squeezed lemon juice. I also forgot the xanthan gum and noticed my bagels dough didn’t look thick enough so I add 1 Tbsp ground chia seed and 1 Tbsp ground psyllium husk. They’re amazing. Thank you so much Jeanine.

14. KDANDERSON says

Just discovered my wheat allergy this winter. Am so looking forward to trying bagels again! And cinnamon rolls! It’s a rainy day today so no better day for baking!

15. Kelly says

I am in the midst of baking these bagels right now and they sure smell yummy! Like the rest of the trio above I have for the most part gone without breakfast or had fruit smoothies yet unfortunately the acidity would bother me too much, so now once again I will be able to have breakfast. The only change I made was replacing the yeast with baking soda as I am yeast intolerant, it is still a challenge for me with some recipes but I am slowly learning to cope with it.:)

Kelly, let me know how that yeast sub works for you, I’ve never tried converting a yeast recipe to a yeast-free recipe, curious to hear how it works for you. :)

16. Karina says

Holy Cow! These are AMAZING. I have made them twice now (the first time, I made 8 bagels and the second time, I made 6). I used poppy seed, dehydrated minced garlic and onion, and onion powder with a little kosher salt. My husband who is not gluten intolerant raved about these and promptly ate two! My one question is how well do these freeze?

• Jeanine says

Yeah!!! So happy to hear that you’re happy with them! You can wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and then place in a re-sealable bag to freeze them. They are still good then, but like all GF bread, not as good as fresh.

17. Kathy says

Thank you for choosing a recipe, without dairy or egg ,bravo to you! THank you for the video as well, what a gem. Would you happen to know what the flax seed does in the recipe, binding agent, soaks up water??? I have a son who unfortunately, no egg, or dairy, gluten, however, he also reacts to flax, and chai, much like a leaky gut trying to heal. I may try it without the flax, we will see. Thank you again, for all your efforts!
    Kathy

• Jeanine says

I’m not 100% sure, since I haven’t tried to make them without the ground flax seed, but I think that it helps as a binder, as well as retaining moisture, and boosting the nutritional value. You could possibly use some egg replacer and omit the flax seed, that may work, but since I haven’t experimented with it, I can’t say for sure.

18. Kathy says

In the video you say 1 1/2,water recipe states, 1 1/4. WHich one would you recommend. Thank you for all your efforts!

• Jeanine says

Definitely start with 1 1/4 cups. :) Written is more reliable than talking. lol If the dough seems too dry, feel free to add another 2-4 Tbsp water though.

19. Tina Stalter says

Hi Jeanine,
    I made your cinnamon rolls yesterday and they were wonderful, so today I am making your bagels. I am wondering if you or anyone else has tried freezing them after partially baking them, so you can make them ahead of time then finish baking when you want to eat them?
    Thanks in advance!
    Tina Stalter (A.K.A.) Funky Momma of Funky Momma Creations

Alright, according to the beings on facebook, here’s an answer. :)

From Chef Mark – Bake the bagels for half of the time, or they will be”stiff” once baked fully. Flash Freeze and bag,they will be great.We do it all of the time. I bake them about 20 minutes, frozen They stay crispier outside when baked frozen.

Let me know if you try it!Would be nice to be able to do a few batches & just bake them as you need them.

• Tina Stalter says

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I will try this for next time. It is so nice to have stuff ready to go as there are nights I just don’t feel like making stuff from scratch.
        I just made the bagels ( before I got the freezing info) and they are AMAZING! I tried making bagels several times before, but for whatever reason they never worked for me. This recipe was easy and the results are fantastic. Thanks so much Jeanine, I am so happy to have found your site.

Tina

• Tina Stalter says

Me again, sorry to be such a pain. I was wondering if I could sub gluten-free ground oats for the ground flax seed? Also have you ever tried using guar gum in the recipe instead of xanthan gum? I would thinking I could use 4 teaspoons of guar to replace the 1 tbsp of xanthan. I will try freezing one partially baked when I do a new batch. I am thinking I might try the pizza crust today. Thanks again, you are amazing!

sorry, I can’t reply to your other message, so I’ll do it here. :) As far as the substitutions go, I’m not sure, since I’ve never tried it. You’re welcome to experiment though, and let me know how it works. :) If I find something that works, I seldom substitute, and I love the “whole graininess” that the flax gives. :)

• Tina Stalter says

I love flax, but some of the people I bake for can’t have it. I’ll let you know if I get brave enough to experiment.

• Tina Stalter says

I did the bagels with 4 tsp guar gum instead of the xanthan gum, and you couldn’t tell the difference. Xanthan gum is about 3 times the price of guar gum here in Ottawa, so I will use that from now on. I didn’t try the oats instead of flaxseed yet, but that will probably be next week :-)

Sounds great, Tina! Some people experience “digestive discomfort” from guar gum, which is why most GF baking is done with xanthan gum. The price difference is about the same here in Manitoba too. :)

20. Jessica says

Holy cow!!! I just made these bagels, and they are INCREDIBLE!!!! Thank you so much for creating this and sharing it! I’m ecstatic to have found such an easy, delicious, and healthy recipe. I think that I will now only eat bagels for the rest of my life :)

21. michelle says

I know this is late, but my oven only goes down to 170 degrees, will this interfere with the process of making these tasty bagels. Please let me know as soon as possible. I really want to make these, Thanks so much.

22. Rachel S says

Hello,
    I’ve made these bagels twice now and though they are delicious I’m having trouble getting them to bake all the way through. They’ve been doughy in the middle both times. I just toast them and eat them but I’d love to figure out how to cook them all the way through! The first time I followed directions exact and baked for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. This time I turned back the heat to 375 and baked for 30 minutes… Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong? Or are they suppose to be a little doughy in the middle?