Gluten Free Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

Believe it or not, next week is already the middle of February. Not only does that mean we are half way to March, but it also means that it is Valentine’s Day. We don’t do much here to celebrate Valentine’s, whatever we do, is to create memories for the kids. We have the red and pink heart shaped vinyl window stickers, a few shiny hearts hanging around, and we usually try for some sort of “Valentines-y” supper on the 14th, complete with a decorated table. Sometimes it’s a fancy supper with a “fancy-to us” meal, which my husband enjoys, or sometimes it’s just a fun red and white theme dinner, which my kids enjoy.

Whatever the dinner or decorations for the day are, we do usually try to have a dessert or snack that scream “Valentine’s” just by it’s appearance. Sometimes it’s chocolate, other times strawberries, but today, it’s chocolate and raspberries. These cupcakes can either be baked in standard cupcake size, or in the cute mini cupcakes (I love using the mini muffin pan with paper liners, they are so cute!).

These cupcakes are lighter-than-air but they are heavy on the chocolate flavour with a hint of raspberry as well. The frosting is made pink with raspberry purée, but also gets a great raspberry flavour from some raspberry extract. Topped with a juicy, plump raspberry, these cute cupcakes are sure to make your Valentine feel loved.

Comments

Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and let you know we’ve added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard!

2. Karri says

Hi Jeanine,

These look great! I was wondering……do you think instead of using the different flours I could just substitute for 1 1/2 cups of GF all purpose flour? I don’t have any sorghum flour but I’d really like to make some yummy cupcakes :)

You could try it, but since I haven’t tried it, I can’t say if it will work or not. Let me know how the results were if you tried it! :)

3. Joyce Bryant says

I’ve been following your site, but haven’t actually baked anything until these.
    My daughter was so happy that these cupcakes actually tasted like cupcakes! Thank you so much! I will definitely be using your recipes. Thanks for making my daughter smile :)

4. Tiffany says

These cupcakes turned out great! I chose this recipe over others I looked up because it was similar to the (regular gluteny) moist chocolate cake recipe I use at the bakery I work at. I didn’t have sorghum or brown rice flour, so I used 1 1/4 cup of gf flour blend (white rice, tapioca, potato starch) and 1/4 of millet flour. I also used hot coffee instead of water, and almond milk so it would be dairy free. I have a hard time deciding on one flavour so I just used vanilla instead of raspberry extract, and topped it with a variety of frostings…buttercream with sprinkles, buttercream rolled in toasted coconut, chocolate caramel frosting, and dipped in pomegranate ganache. It’s gonna be hard to wait until the dinner party I’m taking them to tonight!

Thanks for all of your recipies!

I am new to the gf. I want to make chocolate cupcakes for valentines day for my grandkids, and of course me, :) I was wondering what I can substitute the sorghum with. I only have the basics. I love your website and have used it a lot already in just 2 weeks. Thank you so much!

I have brown rice flour, white rice flour, almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca, xanthan gum, Potato flour. That about does it besides baking powder, baking soda etc.
        thank you soooooo much for the response. I love your recipes and the fact they are free for us all is so nice of you. Everyone I have tried is delicious.
        Happy Valentine’s Day