Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread

Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread | The Baking Beauties

When it comes to developing new gluten-free recipes in my kitchen, I must admit, I enjoy playing with bread recipes. Although I’ve had a fair amount of success with cakes, like the Devil’s Food Cake, I do find it more difficult to get the right texture when it comes to cake. I am still trying to develope a gluten-free white cake recipe that has just the right texture & crumb, I was close last time, but not quite there. But, when it comes to breads, I have an easier time figuring out what I need to do to make the the dough look and feel the way that it should, and quite often have success on the first try. This recipe for Gluten-Free Cheddar and Beer Bread is one of those success stories.

I have heard quite a bit about no-knead breads in the past. Books, like Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day (which also includes a chapter on gluten-free breads), have helped people to realize that baking fresh bread does not need to be a difficult, time-consuming task. Instead, you simply mix your ingredients together, let the dough sit on the counter for a few hours, form into loaves, let it rest again, and then bake it. Those are the same steps that I used to accomplish this savoury loaf that I am sharing today.

Nordic Ware gifts for FBC Conference 2013 attendees

But first, I would like to introduce the star of this delicious bread recipe – my new 3-quart enameled cast aluminum Dutch Oven from Nordic Ware. I received this pot, along with a braising pan and a chicken leg griller, as a gift from Nordic Ware, who is one of the sponsors of the upcoming Food Bloggers of Canada Conference that I am attending. When I looked at the Dutch Oven, I thought – I could make a great stew in that. But, then my mind turned to bread instead. I’ve heard of breads being baked in pots with heavy, fitted lids, but had never tried it. Baking the bread in a Dutch Oven traps the moisture in the pot while the bread bakes, giving you a beautiful, crispy crust on the outside of the bread, but a nice, chewy inside. Similar to steam injection that the professionals use for crispy baguettes and brioche. After experimenting with it, I can tell you first hand, it works beautifully, even with gluten-free breads.

This Nordic Ware Dutch Oven worked beautifully to bake this bread in. The Dutch Oven is enamel coated, so no sticking, even if the dough had touched the sides. However, my favorite thing about this Dutch Oven is it’s weight. It works as well as a cast iron pot, but it is not nearly as heavy as cast iron. It is still easy to lift & carry, even if would be full of a delicious stew.

Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread | The Baking Beauties

Disclosure: I received the Nordic Ware products as a gift, however, the opinions expressed are my own. This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links.

Comments

1. Louanne says

Love being able to make a beer bread again! Do you think I could sub in Better Batter for the flours? Would I not add the xantham gum?

Hi Louanne! I’m not sure how Better Batter would react, I have never used it, sorry! You’re welcome to try though. If it doesn’t have xanthan, add it, and if it does, I would still add another 1 1/2 teaspoons. Breads just need more xanthan than other things. :)

2. Julie P says

I have an all-purpose g/f baking flour, which includes all the different flours you listed. I’ll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. :)

3. Karin Goodman says

This looks amazing. One question – you say to shape 2 balls, do you bake one at a time? Or put both in the same dutch oven?

That is a fabulous question, Karin! One that had crossed my mind as I was trying to write up the recipe clearly (which I obviously failed at). :) I used two dutch ovens, one for each loaf. You could use any pot with a lid, or bake only one loaf at a time, and keep the dough in the fridge until another day.

This looks SO GOOD, Jeanine! I wish I could have diary, because this most definitely would be on my must make list!

Thank you for posting the info on the Nordic Ware Dutch Oven. I had never heard of that brand before, but it looks like something I’d be interested in. I have a Lodge Dutch Oven, and love it, but it just hasn’t stood up to all of the baking/cooking I do in my kitchen. It’s been beat up! I’m curious how these would rate when compared to the Lodge brand (after repeat use)? I might have to invest in one down the road!

Hugs,
    Megan

I have had a recipe for a gluten free bread that used beer. I’ve been putting it off as it is not that easy to find a gf beer in our town.
    I think I’ll have to get some now, you’ve given me the motivation. At least I’ll have a couple of beer recipes to try, I see you have a beef and beer stew which might be a nice autumn dinner.
    Thank you.
    Oh btw what makes your cheddar so orange? Pardon my ignorance. Our cheddar is a pale yellow, even aged.

Haha, Rach, I think that the manufacturers just colour our cheese orange. :) I can buy cheddar curds in white or orange, yet they are the same kind of cheese. Odd, huh? Marketing, I guess.

I have tried to convert an old wheat Beer Bread recipe to gluten free but my attempts have not been successful. Maybe with your recipe I will have better luck :)
    Love the Nordic Ware…nice gift, lucky you!

7. Bridget Oland says

Great way to use the new pot! I love this recipe and have all the ingredients so am going to give it a try. I’ll substitute molasses for the honey and see how it goes.

8. Annette says

Best tasting gluten free bread ever……………there’s no turning back! I really like the idea of using it for a pizza crust as well.

Ah – I’m so glad that you guys liked it, Annette! Your pics on FB looked great, but wasn’t sure what you thought of the taste. Wouldn’t it make an amazing pizza crust? Fantastic idea, wish I’d thought of it. 😉

9. Kim says

This looks delicious….But where in Winnipeg can I get a Nordic Ware dutch oven. ( I don’t own any dutch oven but like the looks of this ones)….I think I am going to give this recipe a try…thank you.

Hi Kim! Apparently “The Happy Cooker” is a Nordicware distibutor – http://thehappycooker.ca/

If you ever head down to Minneapolis, that is where Nordicware is made, and they apparently have a factory outlet there as well. I’m hoping to make a visit this summer.

And if you have to order it online, shipping won’t be ridiculous either, because they are cast aluminum, not cast iron, so they aren’t super heavy.

10. Melissa says

I made this bread today and boy is it delicious!!! This is the best bread I’ve ever had!! Thank you so much for this recipe!! I can’t wait to eat this with a bowl of tomato soup!!

11. calli says

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! My friends and I loved it, even though I switched ingredients for what I had on hand (sundried tomatoes and feta instead of cheddar and onions). It tasted like REAL BREAD!!! I don’t know if I’ll attempt any other GF bread recipes because this is a wonderful base for experimentation. You made my weekend. Thanks again!