You only need three ingredients and a few few minutes to make this Chai White Hot Chocolate at home. A cozy drink without the premium price the coffee shops charge.
Chai is described as a black tea that is mixed with spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and black pepper. Basically, all things that are comforting during the cold winter months.
You can purchase bags of chai tea, and each one will have a slightly different spice blend. Find one that you like, and use that to make this Chai White Hot Chocolate.
Does tea contain gluten?
You may have heard that teabags contain gluten. Is this true? Well, no and yes.
NO, bags containing tea are not sealed using a wheat-based adhesive. Plain and simple. Traditional black tea or green tea do not contain gluten.
YES, some tea blends do contain gluten. I have come across a few myself that contain barley or roasted barley. They add it to add flavor to the teas. However, that makes them unsafe for those with Celiac disease to drink. Click the link to find a list of gluten free tea, and also be sure to double check the labels before consuming.
How to make Chai White Hot Chocolate:
- To start, we will bring the milk to a simmer on the stove top.
- Once the milk is steaming, remove it from the heat, add the white chocolate chips and 2 Chai tea bags.
- Cover with a lid, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and whisk to incorporate the melted white chocolate.
- Divide between two large mugs, top with ridiculous amounts of whipped cream (optional), and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy.
Is white chocolate gluten free?
The Hershey’s white chocolate chips we have available in Canada are labeled “gluten free”. A bonus is that they also contain cocoa butter, which is something I have found a lot of “white baking chips” from the US do not contain.
If you are in the US and trying to find good, gluten free white chocolate chips I would recommend Guittard Vanilla Milk Chips, since they are made in a peanut & gluten free facility, and also contain cocoa butter.
Ultimately, you have to read the ingredients on all of these packages, since it can change from one manufacturer to the next.
Chai White Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups milk of your choice
- 1/3 cup gluten free white chocolate chips
- 2 gluten free Chai tea bags of your choice
- Whipped cream and cinnamon to garnish (optional)
- Place the milk in a medium sized sauce pan. Heat the milk to a simmer over medium heat. The milk should be steaming, but not boiling. Stir occasionally to ensure the milk is heating evenly and not burning on.
- Remove from heat. Add the white chocolate chips and the two tea bags.
- Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags, and stir in the melted white chocolate.
- Divide between two mugs, and top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon (if using). Enjoy.
Use your favorite Chai tea bags. We enjoy "Holiday Chai" from Stash, and the "Bengal Spice" tea from Celestial Seasonings.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Stash Tea 6-Flavor Assortment Tea Chai Lovers 6 Count Tea Bags Individual Tea Bag Variety Pack, Use in Teapots Mugs or Cups, Brew Hot Tea or Iced Tea
Guittard Baking Au Lait Chip, 12 Ounce
Glass Coffee Mug by Bocussi | Set of 2-12 Ounce Insulated Double Wall Mugs | Longer Lasting, Perfect for Espresso, Tea, Hot Chocolate, Water & More
More hot beverages you might enjoy:
- Spiced Apple Cider made from Apple Juice
- Raspberry White Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Eggnog Latte
- Dairy Free Caramel Macchiato (Paleo, Vegan & Refined sugar-free)
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your Drinks & Beverages Pinterest boards!