This cake has a great orange and lemon flavour, and is topped with a citrus white chocolate ganache. Unlike a regular pound cake, this cake is made using olive oil instead of butter. You will want to make sure you use a good tasting, flavourful olive oil for this cake.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (see note)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup flavourful extra virgin olive oil
- zest from one orange AND one lemon
- 5 large cold eggs
- Juice from one orange AND one lemon PLUS enough sour cream or plain yogurt to equal 1 cup
Citrus White Chocolate Ganache
- 140 grams chopped white chocolate
- 70 grams heavy whipping cream
- zest of one orange and one lemon
Citrus and Olive Oil Pound Cake
- Grease one 10-12 cup Bundt pan or two 8x4-inch loaf pans with butter. Set aside.
- Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl, combine All-Purpose Gluten Free flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (using the whisk attachment), beat the sugar, oil and citrus zest on high speed until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue to beat until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice of one orange, one lemon, plus enough sour cream (or plain yogurt) to equal 1 cup.
- Stop the mixer. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the sugar/oil mixture. Beat on low, just until blended. Stop the mixer and add half of the juice/sour cream mixture. Beat until just blended. Repeat with another third of the flour, the remaining juice blend, and then the last of the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Scrape into prepared backing pans. Bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before inverting on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, mix together the juice of one orange and one lemon in a small saucepan. Add an equal amount of sugar (if you have 1/3 cup juice, add 1/3 cup sugar).
- Heat just until the sugar is dissolved.
- While the cake is still warm, brush this mixture over the cake, helping to seal in the moisture.
Citrus White Chocolate Ganache
- In a small saucepan, heat the whipping cream until it is steaming (but not boiling).
- Place chopped chocolate in a bowl with the citrus zests.
- Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate and wait 5 minutes.
- Stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Pour ganache through a fine sieve to remove the zest. It will still leave a citrus flavour, but not pieces of zest in the ganache.
- Once your ganache is thickened a bit, you can spoon it over the top of the bundt cake, letting it run down the sides of the cake.
The all-purpose gluten-free flour mix that I use is from Cybele Pascal. It is as follows: 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour), 2/3 cup tapioca starch.