I love quinoa. Ask me 2 years ago, and I’d never heard of it. Weird how 2 years ago, one hadn’t ever heard of an ancient grain before, but so it goes! I love how quick it cooks up (perfect for those “What’s for supper today” days). I love the nutty flavour it has behind it. That you can eat it hot or cold, and it’s great either way. And I love that you can do anything with it. Flavour it anyway you want. You want it to be filled with Greek flavours? Done! How about a nice creamy dessert (which is healthy enough for breakfast)? Done! Add some Mexican flair? Why not? It is a very versatile grain. And totally healthy too.
So, when I saw a recipe for a sandwich on a recipe site, I thought…those flavours would be absolutely perfect in a quinoa dish! Well, it was after the “oh my goodness, I wish I had bread good enough and big enough to hold that load of toppings!”. But, you do what you can, and I took the flavours from that sandwich, and incorporated them into this wonderful Southwest Chicken Mango Quinoa Salad.
Southwest Chicken Mango Quinoa
This quinoa salad is filled with flavours that compliment each other beautifully. For a vegetarian dish, omit the chicken and use a gluten-free vegetable broth instead.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed & drained if necessary (mine says "Pre-rinsed")
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bit size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium size sauce pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the quinoa and stir. Turn the heat down to low and place the lid on the pot. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat, saute your chicken in the olive oil until nearly done. Season with salt & pepper.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the minced garlic, red onion, red pepper and jalapeno pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and stir.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add in the chicken/onion mixture, lime juice, mango and cilantro and stir until mixed. Serve immediately, or allow to cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook It Allergy Free says
Ooh! This one sounds so yummy. I love quinoa and this would actually make a great meal to send in a lunchbox for school too! 😉
Talk about what looks yummy! I’m loving all the fast, easy recipes lately! Thanks, and just so you know, we’re trying this out tomorrow night. Awesome!
I made this tonight….super tasty!!