Pizza can be so much more than tomato sauce and mozza cheese. This gluten free Barbecue Chicken Pizza has a great kick, and has become one of our favourite pizzas when we do pizza night.
It took me a while to try making Barbecue Chicken Pizza at home. Part of that was because of my difficulty finding a good gluten free pizza crust recipe after my celiac diagnosis. Part of it was because I thought that barbecue sauce would be too strong as the sauce on a pizza.
Thankfully, I figured out how to make great pizza crust, and I gave this Barbecue Chicken Pizza a try, because it is one of my favourite pizzas to make at home now. It’s nice to have something besides cheese pizza, which is the kids favourite pizza.
Tips for the perfect gluten free crust for your Barbecue Chicken Pizza:
- This pizza is great on a Crisp Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- If you’re looking for a Chewy Gluten Free Pizza Crust, give this recipe a try
- You can prepare your gluten free pizza crusts ahead of time. Either the crisp, or the chewy crust, can be prepared ahead of time. Form the crust, let them rise, and prebake the crusts for 12 minutes. At this point, you can let them cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap with parchment paper between the crusts, and freeze them. When you are ready for pizza night, pull out the frozen pre-baked crusts, top with your favourite pizza toppings, and bake until hot and bubbly.
- Pre-baked Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup of your favorite gluten free BBQ sauce
- 3 cups fresh grated cheddar cheese (a combination of cheddar and Gouda would be great too!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In large frying pan, heat olive oil. Add diced chicken breast. Fry until nearly dry. Add diced onion. Fry until chicken is dry and onions are cooked.
Add 1/4 cup BBQ sauce to flavour your chicken.
Spread remaining BBQ sauce on your pre-baked crust. Top with the the cooked chicken, mozzarella cheese.
Bake in pre-heated oven for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.
I am not a fan of crunchy onions (it's a texture thing), but if you don't mind it, you could cut up the red onions & just put them on the pizza at the same time you do the chicken, instead of frying them with the chicken.
Image and recipe updated March 2018.