You’ve heard it before – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You really can’t argue with that when you have these flavourful gluten free Turkey Breakfast Sausages on your plate.
Every Sunday morning our family has a pretty standard routine. Once we get home from church, we prepare a nice brunch/lunch. Sometimes we have pancakes, other times it’s eggs. I just started poaching eggs, that’s a new family favourite.
We usually round out the meal with some sort of hashbrown/potato, fruit, cheese curds, and either bacon or sausages. Since we don’t eat pork, our choices for gluten-free bacon and sausages is pretty limited. I decided to try making my own Turkey Breakfast Sausages, and I know we will never be looking to purchase pre-made breakfast sausages again- these are THEM!
These turkey breakfast sausages are so flavourful, but we also love that we know exactly what is in them. You can alter the spices and herbs to suit your preferences, but we love them as is, brushed with a little maple syrup right before serving.
If you’d like, you can form the sausages into patties instead of links, either way works well. The sausages would be perfect served on a gluten free buttermilk biscuit, topped with a perfectly poached egg and some Hollandaise sauce.
We make the sausages ahead of time, letting them refrigerate for at least 4 hours so that the flavours have a chance to meld. You can also freeze the sausages (flash freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet before storing in an air-tight bag), and defrost them in the fridge prior to cooking them. Either way, they are the perfect addition to your hearty breakfast or brunch.
More great brunch or breakfast recipes:
- Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- Time Saving Sheet Pan Eggs
- Gluten Free Buttermilk Waffles
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want some heat)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup to brush before serving (optional)
- 1 large egg (optional, see Notes)
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, sugar, egg, and all the seasonings until evenly combined.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Using wet hands, form the mixture into links or patties. Try to have them all be equal size so that they will cook in the same time.
- Place formed sausages on the baking sheet. Once all the patties are formed, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at last 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the sausages, turning once the meat becomes nicely browned.
- Fry until cooked throughout (4-5 minutes per side).
- Brush with maple syrup, if using, and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
Mix your turkey & spices together before adding the egg. I have found that some grinds of turkey do not need the added egg, it makes the mixture too wet. So, if your mixture sees dry, you can add an egg. If it mixes up nicely, and doesn't seem too wet, continue without the egg.
Looking for more great breakfast & brunch recipes?
Check out my new e-book, Breakfast Beauties: 25 Gluten Free Breakfast & Brunch Recipes