Similar to the seasonal scones offered at Starbucks, these light, fluffy gluten free Pumpkin Scones are filled with pumpkin and warming spices.
There are few things as comforting on those cool autumn mornings as the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. When the leaves have turned bright reds, yellows, and oranges I notice that I start to crave aromas that are comforting.
The smell of pot roast cooking all afternoon. A vanilla candle flickering on the counter top. And the pumpkin spice in these Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones. To me – that is perfection.
These gluten free Pumpkin Scones are great eaten warm, but unlike most gluten free baking, they are still delicious eaten the next day too.
The glaze is optional, but adds a nice sweetness to the scone, perfect for those chilly weekend mornings when you curl up with cup of your favourite brew and a good book.
Tips to make the perfect Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones:
- I find the best scones are made using very cold butter. I measure out the amount that I need, and then place it in the freezer while I get the other ingredients ready.
- To make scones without a food processor, I simply shred the chilled butter into my dry ingredients using a simple box grater. Works great, and helps the butter to be uniform – no large chunks!
- Once you have added your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, try to not handle the dough too much. Just enough for the dough to come together in a ball, but not enough to warm the butter up too much.
- Don’t pat the dough too thin – you still want the scones to be about 1″ thick before baking. Too thin, and you’ll still have tasty scones, they just won’t be as tall.
If you love these gluten free Pumpkin Scones, I think you’ll also love:
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Gluten Free Lemon Scones
- Gluten Free Blueberry Scones
- Gluten Free Cranberry Bliss Bars
Images and recipe updated October 2018.